TUTORIAL: How To Create Flyers And Business Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUTORIAL: How To Create Flyers And Business Cards

It seems alot of people lately are a little unsure of what to put on their flyers, or even their business cards. Since I'm such a nice guy , I figured I'd help out a little bit and setup a mini-tutorial on some good ideas & ways to create flyers and business cards. Let's begin.

Flyers:

Flyers are the basis of advertising in this business. Besides your truck signs, they are one of the most important advertising tools newly established LCO's (Lawn Care Operators/Operations) can have. Sadly, they are also one of the most overlooked. Here's a few tips to help you create a flyer..
    • Computer Programs - Some of the best flyers I've ever seen & have ever produced came off of a computer program. Microsoft Publisher is a wonderful program that uses templates and pre-set color configurations to create not only flyers, but also brochures, newsletters, letterhead, catalogs, greeting cards, and much, much more. It's price has dropped in recent years and it is well worth it. You can create all types of things for your business with it.

If you're not up to trying a new program, then Microsoft Word (Office Edition) comes on 90% of the Windows-based computers made from 98-current. You can make a simple flyer in it, and also import images as well.
    • Local Print Shops - The smaller local printing businesses can come up with fairly inexpensive ideas for you, you just have to pay them a visit & ask. Look in the yellow pages for some good places around you to visit and get there!
    • Your Kids (if applicable) - Kids today are technological geniuses by the age of 10, at the most. Capitalize on this! Your kids surf the internet and take computer classes at school; see what they can create for you. Kids love helping out mom/dad, so let them. Maybe even give them $20 or so for a good design you like.
    • NO HAND PRINTED FLYERS! - Nothing looks more unprofessional than a torn sheet of paper with your business name and number scribbled on it. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD THIS EVER BE USED!!! It completely ruins any hope of professionalism that your business could hope to have.

Now then, as to what all should be in a flyer ..
    • Business Name - This is the heart, soul, and everything of identity in this game. Enough said.
    • Business Phone Number - How will they know to get ahold of you if you don't list this?
    • List of Services Offered - Don't list everything you offer, but a quick, basic list will do wonders. At the end of the list, add "And Much More, Call Today!" This will stir up good response for a variety of things, and may even present new ideas on services you can provide.
    • (If Possible) A Personal Contact - People ADORE 1on1 contact. If they know the name of a person, they will love doing business with you. It makes it more personable, even if you're a huge-scale operation.
    • An Image - Provide an example of a neat, well-kept house & yard! Clipart comes with all Microsoft programs pretty much, including Word and Publisher. Clipart is free for anyone to use! It also includes real images as well as the cartoon-looking ones. Feel free to pick one and use it.
    • Text - A quick little blurb along the lines of "Is your yard overgrown? Let us take care of it for you! We provide quality work at an affordable price! Our #1 goal is customer satisfaction!" Just a little something for the person's eyes to read. Something convincing. Something that says "I will take great care of your yard for you!"

Now then, let's discuss ...

Business Cards

The basis of an professional identity, as well as a professional company, business cards give the who what & where of you & your business. These are essential! Nowadays business cards can be had just about anywhere, such as ..
    • Online - www.vistaprint.com offers FREE business cards! You just go to www.vistaprint.com, click on Business Cards, then Free Business Cards, and then begin the process. You pay shipping and handling, and they send you 250 FREE cards! You can do this as many times as you like, and they even save your design & information for you, so you can easily order more cards. How can you not like that?
    • Your Computer - Once again, most computers have this ability. Microsoft Publisher, and even some versions of Office have the ability to create business cards and print them at home. Office Depot and other office supply stores sell business card stock. You can print cards all day, as long as you've got the paper and ink.
    • Local Printing Shops - Many local shops are available to do this. They can custom design you just about anything you'd want for a price. Look in the yellow pages to find some places nearby.

"Ok, great!" you say. "But what do I need on there?"

Ha! I got you covered!
    • Business Name - If you have to ask, you don't need to be in this game!
    • Your Name & Title - Having your name and the word "Owner" or "Operator" on there not only gives the people a go-to guy, it gives you a nice tingly feeling on the inside. Who doesn't like being called the head honcho?
    • Slogan - Even if it's cheesy, a slogan is a catchy little saying that the customers can identify you with. It also provides them with a description of you & your business. Mine simply says "Quality work at a affordable prices." Get it? Easy & to the point. Customers don't like complicated matters.
    • Address - Even if you operate out of your house, have your address on here! Or your PO Box number, if that's where everything goes. This gives a physical location and mailing address so your customers will know where to send bills, etc.
    • Phone Number(s) - The #1 way of contacting a business! Your business phone number, your cell phone, your fax line, list them all. But be sure to label them as well (e.g. Phone555)555-5555, Fax555)555-5556).
    • Extra text - If you have the room, you might throw in something like "Call today for a free estimate!" Just something encouraging to want to make the customer call you. Business cards aren't only identification in this business; they're advertising as well.

And there you pretty much have it! Bear in mind that this is a loose outline of what you need to have, and how you can get it; be creative & professional, and you will always come out on top.

Happy Mowing.
    Owner/Operator, Greencare of Chattanooga

Blindarrow another good trick, a little of the subject is if you work out of your home change your answering machine message from personal to buisness. When people call you it seems a little more professional if they are leaving a message for your company and not your wife and kids. Just a little added advice.

Comment

Originally posted by grasschaser
      Blindarrow another good trick, a little of the subject is if you work out of your home change your answering machine message from personal to buisness. When people call you it seems a little more professional if they are leaving a message for your company and not your wife and kids. Just a little added advice.
      Indeed! I've known people to leave a middle-of-the-path message, something like this ...

"I'm sorry we're not able to take your call right now, but if you'll leave your name, phone number, and a brief message, we'll be glad to return your call as soon as possible, thank you!"

Believe it or not, that one works. I'm not saying it's the best, but if you're operating out of your home & only have your home phone, that *can* work.

Comment

As a print shop owner and part time lawn service, I would recommend having a descent vision for your printed pieces. Draw out your ideas and have a good idea the image you want to get across.
        However, as soon as the design process happens, the costs start to increase, so communication is important. Know your target audience and design accordingly. I find with business cards, contractors opt for "raised" printing. You can achieve a more slick look with "flat" printing. Think about using a colored ink instead of black, its more effective. If your going for a small quantity of cards you can maximize by going for color copied cards. And by all means, if you can design your own identity, you can save a bunch of money and most printers should be able to support most home design programs. Just my 2 cents-hope it helps!
        Jack

Comment

If there was only one thing that I learned about advertising while getting my business degree it was to keep it as simple as possible. This is especially important on outside advertising. People don't or won't take the time to read through five or six lines of advertisement to find out the important info.

You can also get more bang for the buck by having double sided business cards made up. On the front put the basics Name, Phone etc. on the back list out a breif description of all the services you provide like Fertilization, Tree Trimming, Trash Hauling etc. This way your card is a Business card and a flier. It will also give prospective customers something to think about that they may have not even thought about having done before.
          Wayne

"If the grass on the other side of the fence appears greener...it must be all the fertilizer they are using!" (Kevin Rodowicz)

Comment

here's my contribution

I spent some time making my own brochures. They're three-fold, glossy, printed on both sides. You can get the paper at Staples, Office Max, etc. I used my inkjet printer on highest photo quality and they came out very nice. I've gotten lots of compliments about how professional they look. The only problem is that it gets expensive printing that much ink. I'm looking into getting them printed for me right now. But here are two screen shots of them in PDF form. The text got a little messed up but you get the idea. I was going to use something like Pagemaker but I stumbled on a brochure template inside of Microsoft Word. Yes, I created them in Word! I also created my own business cards using the Word template but again I'm going to get them professionally done on heavier stock. Criticism on the brochure welcome! Also, I made my logo with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

http://137.146.171.70/brochure/page1.pdf
            http://137.146.171.70/brochure/page2.pdf

Comment

I also have another idea for everyone. I always take pictures of my lawns and landscapes for a photo album to show customers. I recently started scanning the pictures and burning them on a cd to give to my perspective customers if they request a look at my work. I also hand them out when I give estimates on big jobs where A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS. Most people will take the time to look at the cd and even pass it along to other people

Comment

CDs are wonderful items to have a photo album on! Most computers nowadays have CD-burning capabilities, and CDs are getting cheaper every month.

I have a full catalog of services that details how each thing is done & is illustrated. I also have a photo album of my work, including before/after.

These things speak volumes with customers.

Comment

I got some cards off of vistaprint, they came out pretty good, I was surprised
                  It's All Good

Comment

Great info with one HUGE misconception ... the customer is lost in the shuffle with this kind of promo ...

Sell benefits ... the benefits of hiring you ... (what are they?) the above scenario tells of features ... that is a no - no ...

Better yet ... here ... read my 27 ad mistakes ... you'll be glad you did!

Click: http://www.lawnserviceforum.com/showthread.php?t=11295

P.S. Advertising is one of the most important things to get right ... stay away from the hack artist approaches ...

Comment

If you have an office max around I had 1000 fliers printed on a neon yellowish green paper 24# black ink for 42 bucks that is a heck of a lot cheaper then buying ink cartriges for your normal home printer. Too bad i didnt have that done the first thousand i printed out.

Comment

Working...
                      X