Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on Scag, Yazoo, Toro, Great Dane

Hi Folks,
    I could use some of your experience/wisdom on which ZTR to get.
    We aren't pros, just homeowners. We have about 2 acres of land to mow, flat or gentle slopes. A few trees, not too much to mow around.

I've narrowed down our choices to:

Yazoo/Kees 48" 19 hp Kaw $5700
    Scag Tiger Cub 48" 19 hp Kaw $5999
    Toro Z Master 52" 19 hp Kaw or 20 hp Koh $6200

The Scag/Toro dealer badmouthed the Yazoo saying it was not as well-built as his brands - is this salesman bs?

Great Dane SuperSurfer 61" 22 hp for $5500 (demo unit, full 1 yr warranty). Fantastic price on this, but dealer says the current owners of Great Dane do not have their sh*t together, it can be hard to get parts from them.

Thx, Kim

Welcome to the Lawn Service Forum Community, korrell!

Toro
    GrassMaster, LSF Administrator!
    LawnPro - Lawn Care Business Software:
    www.lawnbook.com --- www.lawnservicing.com

Comment

I think Great Dane's are ugly. They also have a lesser warranty than any of the other machines.
      Premier Lawn Care

Comment

Go with the scag

The Scag tiger cub I just purchased is an excellent machine. Go with kaw motor. Xmark are very good too, but I feel the scag will last must longer if well maintained. I'm new a this also, but my scag tiger cub cuts very good, very easy to operate and maintain. Best of luck to ya.
        Mark

Comment

While we are not seasoned experts, we are totally in AWE of our Scag Tiger Cub.
          Austin, Round Rock, & Georgetown Texas - a wonderful part of this green earth.

Comment

Toro.
            a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
            Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

toro

Comment

go with the scag if you want a good mower that will last and easy to get parts for i have a turf tiger wouldnt take any other mower for it

Comment

TORO
                  Steve
                  Quality Lawn Care & Landscape Management
                  www.qualitylawncare.biz

Comment

To answer your question, we just bought the Scag Tiger Cub and it's a really nice machine. I think we made the right decision.

We were seriously looking at Scag, Exmark, and Dixie Choppers when we bought.

If you are a homeowner with not too many trees to mow around, why do you want a ZTR? I would think that a nice lawn tractor and a good weedeater would be the way to go. For my own home, I could never justify spending the money on a ZTR mower. Even with 2 acres, a lawn tractor would work just fine.

I'm not trying to talk you out of buying it, I just don't understand why a homeowner would want that much of a mower.
                    Maple City Lawn Care
                    La Porte, Indiana
                    www.garyfd2.com

Comment

Thanks everyone, sounds like Scag is the way to go. I had similar thoughts after looking at all the models, but I wondered if the other brands were just as good.

There are a couple reasons we decided a ZT rider was the best way to go for us. We actually have 3.7 acres, but will only mow 2-2.5 acres (at least that's the plan). A friend has a 52" walk-behind hydro, and it takes him about 1.5 hrs to do his 1 acre (lots of trees). My husband loves to do yardwork, but he doesn't have a lot of time - so we need to have something that will be fast, and something easy for me to use when he can't do it. So a walk-behind isn't enough. I considered the homeowner ZTRs but they aren't all that much cheaper than the tiger cub, and it doesn't seem like a good longterm purchase. In addition, I didn't mention that we also have a 17 acre plot of land that we will be building our house on in the next year or so. When we move there, there is a good chance we will have at least 2 acres to mow, and eventually will have to buy a tractor/brush-hog as well. Right now we pay someone to brush-hog it for us.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
                      Kim

Comment

Go to a local Sears outlet store and buy a returned mower. Last time I checked they had several 48" Craftsman 25hp B&S extended lifte engine with 40 hours or less for $1,700 that sells for the regular price of $2,998. I use one in my lawn business for larger lawns to save time and $5,000 on a ZTR.

Grassland Mowing

Comment

Korrell,
                          I think you'll be happy with any commerical brand that you decide to buy. Commerical equipment is so much more than any homeowner level mower. Toro and Scag are both proven to get the job done. Yazoo (now owned by Husqvarna) has been going through some changes over the past few years and is up and coming. Whatever you get, make sure you understand the warranty and how long it lasts.

Grassland,
                          I'm not sure what you meant by saving time. I can't think of a situation to where a lawn tractor would be faster than a Z.

IMO I would stay away from BnS motors, altogether. Kawasaki is the only way to go unless you're running a diesel.
                          If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Comment

I agree, there's nothing faster than a Z, but I make more money in high volume small lawns. I can't justify big money on a Z for the few large lawns I mow to get the lawn tractor off the trailer. It takes 10 minutes just to load and unload a Z or tractor. During that time, I could be 1/4 finished on most half acre lawns. It would be different if I hired a helper. The used craftsman mower is just a cheaper solution for a residential customer.

Comment

Grassland,
                              you lost me. If it takes you 10 mins to unload a Z or a tractor what are you using to mow your lawns with? and why would it take 10mins?

Korrell I think the homeowner version of the dixon is 2k and might be a via solution.
                              If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Comment

Working...
                              X