Rookie Pricing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Pricing Question

Hey Guys ... I'm new at this stuff, so be patient. I am a carpet cleaner who has found himself suddenly in the lawn care business. Currently, I am pricing via my guess regarding how long it will take me to cut the lawn in question. I am failing miserably, of course.

My question is:
    Do you guys price by the s.f. of lawn you are cutting, or do you convert the hours it will take off the s.f. of the yard, or what?

In the carpet cleaning industry, we generally price by the s.f. with prices ranging from 8 cents and up depending on the carpet in question. Do ya'll do something similar?

Oh, another thing ...

The reason I am asking is because I have a local bank that wants me to bid on three branches that they have locally. They want their grass cut, of course, and the edges trimmed, and their scrubs kept cut. They also want me to blow off their parking lots and keep some flowers in the beds by the front doors of each facility. I have tried to figure out how long these things will take me, on a weekly basis, and then extrapolate a price based on my hourly rate. If you can believe it, the lady I'm dealing with told me my price was "way lower than the guy doing it now."

Now, I appreciate her honesty, but now I'm thinking .... I need some EDUCATION HERE!

Help me, if you can, not to loose this opportunity, or MY SHIRT!

Comment

Porky, I love your movies!

Comment

Try and figure out the amount of time it will take you to do the lawn and everything else. You should probably be averaging 38 - 45 bucks an hour. It will take some time learning to estimate, and you will wind up doing some jobs and not making a penny. But you will learn from your mistakes. Try and see if you can get a lawn service to quote your own lawn and take it from there. Your price should be on par with any other legitimate lawn service out there. I have made a few pricing mistakes this year. Next year I will raise the ones I goofed up on. If they don't like it, they can find a new lawn guy.

The only thing that will set you apart from the others is the quality and care you put into your work. Distinguish yourself from the others somehow and you can charge whatever you like. Some people will go on just the price alone, but in my experience most will go by your quality, enthusiasm, and your personality. Most people like to talk (like me right now), so spend a few minutes with your clients. Remember their names if you can.

People will remember a kind gesture long after they remember what they are paying you.

I would rather spend twice as much for something at the local hardware store where they remember my name than at Home Depot or Lowes.

I hope this info helped you a little bit.

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to tell me your take, Mike. It's people like you who make these BB's worthwhile.

Oh, I've got the screwing up part down pat. Now, it's time to make some money!

Comment

In this business you're selling time and materials ... and in the process of doing that you have expenses to cover, cost of being in bizz and cost of doing bizz ... this is known as overhead costs. Like Mike's lawnservice said ... you need to be able to predict the amount of time each job will take ... do some tests by timing every work event you do ... (every work event) make careful notes. Then as you collect these times at some point you'll have to assign a value to your time (rate per hour) and even if you can't get your desired rate ... you'll know your costs per hour and more importantly you'll know just how low you can price and (not any lower) ... this is your walkaway price. Then it's time to "test" your prices in your market. What is a competive price for doing X work ... keep notes ... compare the competitive prices with (your) cost of supplying those services ... is there a profit after cost for you and what is it per hour? Is that profit acceptable?

Good luck!!!!!!

Comment

test run

offer your contact a test run. do all three branches once, charge for your time, and base the contract on the outstanding job you did! figure on 3 flats of mixed (same signature mix) annuals fir each branch - be sure to ask if they do seasonal displays (pansies in spring, annuals in summer, mums in fall) and price that accordingly. Don't forget to inquire on snow removal - this will make it a 12 month account! If you can't do the trial run - then SPY! Be at each branch when their present guy is doing it!
              Good luck.
              JPSullivan

Comment

.75 of a cent per sq foot
                1993 Ford F-250
                16ft Landscaping Trailer
                2004 Walker GHS 48" 26hp EFI Power Dump
                2002 Walker GHS 48" 26hp EFI Power Dump
                2004 Hustler Fastrak 44" 18hp Vac Bagger
                Honda hr215 21" mower
                2006 Honda Commerical 21"
                Redmax 8000 blower
                2 FS 110's
                FC 110
                FS 250
                FS 76

Comment

Hey, Pork- In my experiance, as little as it might be, i've learned that as long as you do good work, & care about what you doing, or at least make them think you care, which ever is easiest for you, you can really sock it to 'em, and they love it. they respect your work, and respect you for being confident enough in your work to charge accordingly. I mean you said that lady told you that the price you quoted was way less than da guy presently doin the job, so jack up the price some. the fact that she told you your price was too low tells you that she must be unhappy with the present gardener for reasons other than monetary issues. So treat them right and your go to charge them a competitive rate. Just remember your sweat is worth it, we don't go to bed exhausted for nothin! good luck man,

Comment

hmmm, maybe i should look at the dates on these things.. i'm only like a year & a half late with this advice, lol! rookie mistake, now i look like an ass, oh well

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk83
                      hmmm, maybe i should look at the dates on these things.. i'm only like a year & a half late with this advice, lol! rookie mistake, now i look like an ass, oh well
                      LOL That's OK I only read it today (Jan 22,2005) and it's still good!

Comment

Working...
                      X