Simplify maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simplify maintenance?

How well do you guys maintain your equipment? Do you go by the book or just change oil and filters when you get a minute to slow down?

I was thinking that a logbook for each piece of equipment would simplify maintenance. Hour meters can be purchased almost any where you can buy a small engine. I just haven't checked to see if they work on all engines - 2 stroke, 4 stroke etc. What do you think?

OR...many companies who have fleets of cars have "averaged" mileage on their vehicles and the required maintenance. So instead of changing oil on every individual vehicle every 3,000 miles, they bring them all in every 3 months to service them, wipers at 6 mos., belts at 1 year, tires every 2 years or whatever.

I'd like some of your ideas on how to simplify maintenance. Thanks for the input.

Billy

ps

If it helps my equipment list is as follows:
    48 in Great Dane Super Surfer with 17 hp Kawasaki
    48 inch Walker with 25 hp Kohler
    36 inch Exmark variable speed with 11 hp Briggs
    2 - Stihl FS85r trimmers
    1 Stihl edger
    1 Echo trimmer
    Ford 3510 4wd diesel tractor
    Kioti 60 inch finish mower
    2 - 21" lawn boy self propelled push mowers
    http://www.absoluteoutdoorservices.com

Log Book, is the concept I use. I don't go by the manual for every type of maintenance schedule, but the written record of each piece of equipment and what/when has been done to it is a good reference & reminder.
    Any 4 stroke, I check the oil before leaving shop, as well as all fuel levels in all equipment, I do not keep written record of this type thing.
    Cyclical maintenance is what goes in the book. Oil changes for example, I don't change by number hours/days in service, while I'm checking the oil level, if it looks diry, it gets changed and logged. Same with air filters, belts, tire pressure, etc.
    I also keep a 'master list/chart', with just about everything on it, this comes in handy for monthly checks, plugs, cable lubes, etc.
    I know I've done all possible maintenance at least once a month and/or once a week.

A second record I keep is a 'Repair Log' for items not planned but demand immediate attention along with notes of any quirks a particular piece of equipment may be having, example= unexplained oil usage.

May sound like a lot of paperwork, really isn't though once it's set up and you're used to it.
    Rustic Goat

Comment

I have a check list that I have nailed to my garage. I go down it with all my mowers, and check off everything I do just to make sure I'm not missing anything. Works for me.

Brian

Comment

KEEP IT CLEAN !

This is somthing that could be debated till the end of time and have books written apon.BUT,i will make a few points i feel is helpfull for maximum equiptment life. Anyone maintaining there own equiptment should purchase a minimum 2hp 12-20 gallon air tank AIR COMPRESSOR available for under 200$ nowadays. This along with a blowgun will help keep all mechanical equiptment as clean as possible which is imperative. GRIT be it sand or dirt in any moveing parts wreeks havok..Blowing everything clean includeing the funnell that you use to fill and top off oil is extremly important.I specifically use air rather than water because water only forces dirt into spindle bearings etc and contaminates lubrication. Getting back to the funnell keep it clean period.Keep the area around the oil fill and dipstick perfectly clean so when you remove the dipstick nothing (DIRT) can fall into the engine causeing it to become unclean.. You CAN purchase Hourmeters that will work on any engine 2&4 stroke BUT there are to many factors/variables involved for me to tell you when you should do your maintanance. That has to be your ultimate decision and judgement so listen to the other fellas like RUSTIC GOAT who run under similar conditions. I rented and still rent equiptment from the smallest generator made to the large aircompressors that are V8 engines with one side supplieing the mechanical power and the other compressing the air and a lot of other equiptment in between. I change my oil frequently enough that after 5000 hrs of use it still comes out clean and remains so clean that i have trouble seeing the level on the dipstick without squinting my eyes.Equiptment i rented went out with instructions NOT to check the oil because It was full when it left and i was afraid someone would add oil with a funnel full of dust and pebbles so i would prefer it run a little low with clean oil then full with any solid crap being thrown in by accident . I hate to keep repeating the word CLEAN but being a mechanic and haveing pulled apart many,many engines it was apparent most wear was caused by oil and lubricants that somehow became contaminated by UNCLEAN lubricants. Like i said in the introduction i could write a book on this but the most important advice i can give is to keep things as clean as possible.Sorry if i seemed a little repetative but thats the most important point i can make.GOOD LUCK SINCERELY,KD
        GOD BLESS AMERICA (MY HOME SWEET HOME ) !!!!!

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Comment

Transman,

you always give good advice!

My shed is small and busting out at the seams so there is no list on the wall. I put my checklist on an Excel spreadsheet and seperated each piece of equipment for service intervals. Some of the items on this checklist are really nothing more than no brainers. Like Rustic Goat said, oil and gas checks are daily mandatory items. Others like air filters can go a day or two, but blade sharpening is a big item. You can either be too tired at the end of a day, or too rushed to do it the next morning, but my checklist will give me a constant reminder that I have not completed my duties. Breaking down each individual item may seem tedious to some larger companies, but I run mostly solo. I don't have back-ups for most of my 2 stroke equpment. If I fail to maintain it, then I am out of luck.

Write it down, put it on an Excel spreadsheet, put it on your bulletin board in your office, a refridgerator magnet, post in on your shop wall.... It doesn't matter what method you use, but it does matter that you do it on a consistent basis. No need to waste money on repair and downtime due to neglect!

Comment

I basically go by the equipment mauals for maintenance intervals or shorten the intervals.

Daily I check tire presure, change blades, check oil and gas levels and basically do a quick visual check. I also string trimmers, edgers and blowers and make sure they are ready for the days work (string, blades, fuel).

As far as cleaning I use the air compressor. I only presure wash two or three times a year. I will usually only presure wash right before a lube is required. It ids important, as was said earlier, to grease and lube after using water due to the water getting in moving parts.

I check deck level twice a year or if I notice the mower cutting funny. I have found that the drive belts will usually last about 2 years on the ZTR but I check these pretty good when I am doing a lube wich is about every 20 to 25 hours.

Plugs on everything get replaced at least once a year.

Air filters are replaced or cleaned depending on condition when mowing. If it is real dry and dusty they will get checked and/or serviced daily.

I am also tight for space right now but once I finish my new workshop/garage I am planning on putting up a check chart to go by.
            Wayne

"If the grass on the other side of the fence appears greener...it must be all the fertilizer they are using!" (Kevin Rodowicz)

Comment

Working...
            X