Gutter cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutter cleaning

This year I'm planning on advertising for gutter cleaning as a main service seperate from my lawn care advertising.

I was wondering what you find to be the fastest and most effective ways of cleaning gutters?

The way I've been doing it is scooping the stuff out by hand and dropping it in a 5 gallon pale. Which is difficult if the gutter hangs under the roof.

Some two story houses have one gutter on the first story and right above it (set back aways) a gutter on the second story. How do you get to the second story gutter when theres a first story roof and gutter right below it.

You should be able to get to all the gutters by using the roofs. You may have to access them by jumping (gently) from 1 section of roof down or up to another,,, than go to the edge and clean gutters.

Mike
    SENIOR MODERATOR LSF COMMUNITY CONTROL CORDINATOR
    Have a Nice Day, from the Lawn Service Forum S.A.S.M
    www.lawnbook.com
    www.lawnservicing.com
    Click Here: For Lawn Care Business Kit
    Click Here: For FREE Marketing "Mini-Course"
    Please ask questions about the business here, I'm unable to answer them 1 on 1.
    Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Make this Forum Possible!
    NOW AVAILABLE FOR FREE LSF IN 5.0 !!! JUST PM GRASSMASTER TO GET YOURS TODAY!!

""POYMIT"

ATTRITION :alien:

Comment

I use a handheld blower then clean up the mess on the ground.Walking on rooftops is dangerous watch what you are doing.
      Who gives a hoot.

Comment

Not only dangerous, but some older roofs can be damaged, especially slate roofs.

Be sure you are insured for this type of work too. Some companies do not consider this "lawn and landscape maintenance".
        Jeeps are like women.....much more fun with their TOPS OFF!

A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able ones.

Do you guys think Obama is going to kiss us after he is done with us or is he going to put on his belt and head out the door?

Comment

its not the fall its the impact

I use a ladder an clean the gutters out by hand. Using a blower can get messy if there is water in them and it hit the house.

I dont walk on roofs, they can be slippery in the fall with the leaves on it. Also I wont slip off of a ladder, when i could off of a roof.

Hey its the the fall, its the impact that hurts.

Lee
          Lee's Lawn Service

Comment

Geeze,,, you guys are that affraid of roofs? Glad my guys dont whine like that when they have to go up on one. Id make them dead head flowers for a week if they cryied like that.

Mike
            www.lawnbook.com
            www.lawnservicing.com

""POYMIT"

Comment

SeaScape

Hey Mike u ever answer your PM's????
              Hell I donot even remember now what I wrote u its been awhile LOL

Dayak
              "Life was meant to be lived"

groundworks@charter.net
              http://profiles.yahoo.com/groundworks2004

Lin

Comment

Ya usually. Sorry if i missed one. Feel free to shoot it again.

Sorry man.

Mike
                www.lawnbook.com
                www.lawnservicing.com

""POYMIT"

Comment

ZThats ok mike been awhile

On the gutters I only did a cpl but I was experiementing with both ways on the roof and from a ladder, On the Couple gutters I cleaned I liked the ladder and bucket. I took the bucket up the ladder and then scooped out the leaves and put into the bucket.
                  However on one I had to get on the roof to get to cause the ladder would not do it. I just felt like to me the ladder went faster

Dayak
                  "Life was meant to be lived"

groundworks@charter.net
                  http://profiles.yahoo.com/groundworks2004

Lin

Comment

I've been up 400' in the air on a tower working with no hands with nothing but a lanyard and a carabiner holding me and I won't touch a gutter. I'm frightened of tall ladders. I did one my first year in business and the ladder slipped a little. I thought I was going to the ground. It was a 40' extension ladder. It slid about 8' and hit the edge of the roof and stopped. I climbed down and told the lady that the roof was a little to high and I didn't feel comfortable. I felt like a complete idiot.

Comment

I've used my EB7000 backpack blower for a couple of yrs. now doing gutters. Works great! Kinda like having a huge blow drier up there. Even aim the tube down the downspout drops and junk comes flying out the bottom. Problem is you must have a safety person along to #1 hold the ladder#2 make sure down sput are blowing clear # 3, well you should just ahve a safety person along ANYTIME you do this kind of work.
                      "Bustin' ass cuttin' grass"

Comment

Anybody have any expereince cleaning gutters on houses something like this?

/ /|_| \ /|_| \ <----- \Gutter
                        / \
                        / \
                        /__________________________\ <-- Gutter
                        | _ _ |
                        | |_| |_| |
                        | | Upper gutter to high to
                        |_________________________| reach from lower roof
                        / \
                        /____________________________\ <--Gutter
                        | |
                        | __ __ _ |
                        | | | |_| |_| |
                        | |. | |
                        |__|__|_______________________|

How do you clean the second story gutter when theres a first story roof below it sticking out to far to lean the ladder on the second story gutter, and the second story gutter is to high to reach from standing on the first story roof?

How do you get to the third story gutter when the roof is to steep to walk on?

Comment

Boom truck with a man basket. Seriously I don't know. I've seen guys with ladders set up on the first story roof. Friggin crazy if you ask me. Roofers have a thing that goes on the end of a ladder that allows the ladder to hang on the very top of the roof allowing you to walk up the ladder while it is lying on the roof. If that makes any sense. That's roofers though, 99% of them are plain crazy from the start.

My suggestion, to hell with roofs. I'd rather be in the garden planting bulbs. Much safer.

Comment

I made a nice picture of a house showing exactly what I'm taking about but when I submited reply it didn't turn out.
                            I spent a lot of time making that house

Comment

Stihl has a Gutter extension for their BR series blowers that consists of a series of tubes which attaches to the blower & enables the operator to clean low lying gutters from the ground.

If you use a blower, please ensure the gutters are Bone Dry, otherwise you will create a Huge Mess.

Comment

Working...
                              X