Termite control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termite control

Anyone do their own termite control by using the pegs with the bait paper? If so does this work at all? I 've heard a large national termite company no longer sprays, they only use the baits and will guarantee their work by paying for 100% of any damage to the structure.

P&C Lawn Care

Up until may 31 2003 I was licensed in the state of Florida for Termite and Fumigation. Insurance and other hassles caused me to drop the Termite license. Termite work is a very specialized area of pest control. Knowledge of construction as well as insect habits is needed. However new chemicals are making it easier to do. In the old days it was guesstimating more than science. However it is still educated guesstimating.

What you pay a professional for, is What He Knows, Not what he does. True, you can buy Termite bait station at Home Cheapo. Yes They are the same chemicals used by professional in most cases. May be not the same % of AI.

Best advice I can give you is call TRUEGREENS/CHEMLAWN's Sister Company TERMINIX

You can lead a donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass drink.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Ric. Terminex is the company that I heard no longer sprays and uses the baits. I am not licensed to spray for Termites (I spray for weed control) and have a yearly contract with a local company to do that, but I know that I can install and monitor the bait traps just as well as anyone else, if the bait stations work (these are for my own home and not for hire). I agree that part of the money paid is for the "Knowledge". I have a friend who has had there house sprayed year after year and still got Termites. If I were to buy bait stations it would be from where I buy my herbicides since they carry all the pesticides too.

Comment

Bait Stations are controled by the manufacture. Yes you have to buy them but you don't own them. Each year you must pay a royalty for there use, even if you don't replace them with new stations. That is the way all of the different companies are that I have had dealings with.

Comment

My recomendation would be to go with a reputable company to do the termite work. My dad works for Presto-X-Company (click on the name for website) and I know that they are in Oklahoma as well. They use a termite system called Sentricon by Dow Agro. They have had excellent results with that system and I would highly recomend the system. If you go to their website click on their logo to enter then click on the Oklahoma City link to go to the Oklahoma branch office. Tell them that Tom from the Sioux City office sent you.

Comment

Ric,several years ago in a trade magazine,I read they were beginning to use Liquid Nitrogen to kill termites.Have any of the pest control companies pursued it's use that you know of?

Comment

Originally posted by CMAX001
              Ric,several years ago in a trade magazine,I read they were beginning to use Liquid Nitrogen to kill termites.Have any of the pest control companies pursued it's use that you know of?

CMAX001

It has been a while since I heard of this. Therefore I only offer opinion. I believe it was for "DRY WOOD TERMITES". Dry wood termite have to be controlled by fumigation. Liquid Nitrogen not only suffocates them but also freezes them. The advantage of liquid nitrogen is it does not kill plants and is safer to use. 70% of the air we breathe is nitrogen.

Comment

Re: Termite control

Originally posted by Ric View Post
                P&C Lawn Care

Up until may 31 2003 I was licensed in the state of Florida for Termite and Fumigation. Insurance and other hassles caused me to drop the Termite license. Termite work is a very specialized area of pest control. Knowledge of construction as well as insect habits is needed. However new chemicals are making it easier to do. In the old days it was guesstimating more than science. However it is still educated guesstimating.

What you pay a professional for, is What He Knows, Not what he does. True, you can buy Good Termite treatment costs station at Home Cheapo. Yes They are the same chemicals used by professional in most cases. May be not the same % of AI.

Best advice I can give you is call TRUEGREENS/CHEMLAWN's Sister Company TERMINIX
                Hello,
                In my opinion you should take service from a professional to do that work perfectly....

Comment

Spring is prime termite season as swarmers emerge to mate and establish new colonies, which often include vulnerable residential properties. Termites can literally eat a home out from under its owners, often without them even knowing until much damage has been done. They have the ability to chew through wood, flooring and even wallpaper undetected, 24/7, and can compromise the structural stability of a home within several years depending on the species.

Some tips including:>
                  1. Eliminate or reduce moisture in and around the home, which termites need to thrive.
                  2. Repair leaking faucets, water pipes and exterior AC units.
                  3. Repair fascia, soffits and rotted roof shingles.
                  4. Replace weather stripping and loose mortar around basement foundation and windows.
                  5. Divert water away from the house through properly functioning downspouts, gutters and splash blocks.
                  6. Routinely inspect the foundation of a home for signs of mud tubes (used by termites to reach a food source), uneven or bubbling paint and wood that sounds hollow when tapped.
                  7. Monitor all exterior areas of wood, including windows, doorframes and skirting boards for any noticeable changes.
                  8. Maintain an 18-inch gap between soil and any wood portions of your home.
                  9. Consider scheduling a professional inspection annually. Wood-boring insect damage is not covered by homeowners' insurance policies.
                  10. Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house.

Comment

Thanks for this wonderful knowledge!

Comment

Great source of information.

Comment

Working...
                      X