When to make your business legit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to make your business legit

Ok im just starting off in this business and I got only one yard. I dont want to be filing for a business license and having tax people breathing down my neck when I only got one yard,I was thinking when I get like 20 or 30 yards I would make my business legit,Can I register a business name without the tax people wanting to know how much I make . does registering a name put you in the irs system??

Please go legit. This kind of behavior is the pure defenition of a "Scrub".

There isnt that much involved in being legit. I suggest you go that route.

Comment

As far as the feds and the IRS, you do not have to be legit to be OK and pay your taxes on your earnings. You just claim your earnings as self employment income and pay those taxes along with your other job.

The State is another matter though. To do business legally in your state you may have to be registered, licensed and legit.

There usually is not all that much involved in becoming legit and you really need to go that route for many reasons. If you plan on growing into a sucessful business you need to get started out on the right foot. This way you are doing the right things to begin with to protect yourself and your customer. Plus you are not creating illegal habits or bad habits that are hard to break.

You should get legit, get insurance and pay your taxes early on. If you don't it will be hard to bring yourself to do the right thing later on because you have alredy tasted the forbidden fruit....
      First of all you've got to ask yourself....
      Are you a Lawn Service or a Loan Service?

Comment

Damn, you guys in the state are crazy!

Over here, we have to register our immediately when we want to run our business...

doesn't matter if you have 0 accounts or 1, you must reigster before you start your business

Comment

Well I don't even own my own biz yet but it's because I want to do as much research as I can first and because I will start out legit. There's just too much risk in not being properly insured, and in order to be insured you must be registered etc, etc etc. This is me personally but I have 3 kids that depend on me and its just to much risk to take. I know its worst case but imagine going to your first job and somebody gets hurt or you cause damage to a property. What then? It's too big of a risk for me.

Comment

Just starting out

I too am just starting out in this business. I am your typical disgruntled corporate employee looking to break out on my own. My question is what does one need besides the equipment? I hear about registering the business, insurance and the like. I am living in Florida and would appreciate any information on how to legally set up a lawn care business so that I can be square with the tax man as well as limit my liability if, God forbid, something happens like damage to a customer's property or someone gets hurt. How much and what type of insurance do people in the business carry? Also what do the insurance payments run? At present I have a commercial ZTR, two commercial string trimmers, a gas powered hedge trimmer and three 21" push mowers, a 18" chain saw and a 14' lawn care type trailer. I even have an older Toro rider as a back up mower in the event the ZTR needs work. I'd like to protect this stuff as well. I mean, you never know. Some idiot could rear end me on the road and destroy everything.

Comment

WB ... IRS income tax wise just do a 1040 Schedule "C" sole proprietorship as a start, get business liability coverage and auto, inland marine on the equipment ... do the state sales tax on services thing if it applies in Florida ... impose/collect/report/payover the sales taxes to the state. When you get employees do a full reporting of wages, unemployment comp, workers comp.

Comment

Regardless of what you do taxwise, get insurance!

Comment

In my opinion...other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by edrenckh

Yes I agree with the Insurance being the most important thing. Now for the other I will say I know of a few people who offer a cash money discount.

You can lead a donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass drink.

Comment

Working...
                    X