John Deere Vs. Exmark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Deere Vs. Exmark

A few weeks ago I purchased a brand new John Deere 717A Zero Turn mower. Now, I know that Exmark is the favorite brand on these boards but the John Deere was a few hundred dollars cheaper than the Exmark and here's the real sticking point: It is almost exactly the same design. And I don't mean it has some similarities, I mean it is pretty much a green Exmark. So, I asked some local guys that supply lots of lawn service companies in my area and they told me that the same guy designed both brands. The Exmark dealer even admitted to me that this year is the first time John Deere has had any commerical mower worth considering.

I've had other John Deere equipment in the past and I have no complaints about any of it. But I thought I would ask everyone else what their opinion of JD is, especially as it compares to Exmark.

Deerefully yours,

-Bryan

Ive been using the GS series for years. Havent had the first regret.
    SENIOR MODERATOR LSF COMMUNITY CONTROL CORDINATOR
    Have a Nice Day, from the Lawn Service Forum S.A.S.M
    www.lawnbook.com
    www.lawnservicing.com
    Click Here: For Lawn Care Business Kit
    Click Here: For FREE Marketing "Mini-Course"
    Please ask questions about the business here, I'm unable to answer them 1 on 1.
    Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Make this Forum Possible!
    NOW AVAILABLE FOR FREE LSF IN 5.0 !!! JUST PM GRASSMASTER TO GET YOURS TODAY!!

""POYMIT"

ATTRITION :alien:

Comment

Which Model eXactly are you saying is identical to the eXmark...The Walks are Very Different...Decks, Carrier Frames, Controls etc....

Comment

The John Deere 717A Zero-Turn ride on mower with a 52" deck is almost exactly identical to the same size exmark.

Comment

I guess my biggest question is again the dealer standing behind the machine. In my area JD and Exmark are in the same dealership, however the dealer sells probably 20:1 Exmarks over Deere. Deere has been trying to get into the ZTR market for a couple of years now. Deere has certainly been building equipment for a few years and have a huge selection to choose from, however there sole purpose isn't to build commerical mowing equipment.

Comment

everything deere does is put in 100% The sole purpose of anything green is to be the best. Demo one and you will see there is nothing that will compare.
            "Nothing runs like a Deere"

Comment

i have a john deer LT111 it is a 1984 model use it for cutting rough areas an as a back up. my grandfather bought it new and willed it to me 2 years ago this mower gets put through the ringer and about alli do is change the oil its all origional but tires and blades. it will still cut a smooth even cut every time

Comment

My 1965 John Deere 110 cuts real good.
                It is a little slow with the 8 h.p. Kohler.
                Thinking about dropping a 26 h.p. Kaw in it.

Quality Is Good ©

Comment

Originally posted by johndeereman
                  everything deere does is put in 100% The sole purpose of anything green is to be the best. Demo one and you will see there is nothing that will compare.
                  John Deere is to Exmark what Pee-Wee Herman is to Mike Tyson.

Comment

If JD is building commerical equipment, why don't the commerical folks use em?

JD hasn't been very aggressive in the commerical lines for private turf care companies in many years.

I viewed the JD ZTR, my dealer said he was selling a few, but mostly to homeowners and didn't recommend them for the commerical guys. I didn't really see much similarity in an Exmark versus the JD. It did appear to be a quality machine however how proven is it? They have had those units out for a couple of years, I am still not seeing em on the street. The last JD unit I owned was a 1993 Green/Yellow WB 14/48 and I sold it and still see it occasionally, and it still runs, it was a good machine for it's time.

I Like JD equipment but I think I will stick with a company whose bread and butter is Commerical Mowing machines.

Mr. Jones keep us posted on your experience with the 717

Comment

dear Mr. jimslawnserice1

Please take note of JD 717 vs. 717a.

It is my contention that JD is committed to the commercial market.

I am not affilicated with any mfg., but travel and note that in Norwalk, OH, it is either JD or Dixie.

NOTE: I purchsased a JD 717a based on research.

b. rgds.

Comment

I bought a JD 717A about two months ago. The stamped deck is completely JD design and a JD manufacturing advantage. Deere has made a very strong commitment to go after the green industry. It has been extremely strong in certain areas such as golf course maintenance, but with the introduction of the new deck and this ZTR series, JD is hoping to spread out in other areas of the commercial market.

At $6300 it was a great deal.
                        Incitatus for the US Senate !

Comment

I dispute that JD has a strong committment to the commercial market. I was very interested in doing a demo last year of Deer's ZTRs but I met the same wall of resistence as I did 3 years ago from the regional demo guy based in Renton WA. He wouldn't come out to my side of Puget Sound and claimed he didn't have the model I requested in his demo fleet!!!!

My pointed response to my local JD dealer in Silverdale WA was that was BS and I thanked him personally for making up my mind to go w/ Scag. JD's refusal to go after a sale was astounding, especially since I need to replace at least 3 of my wb in the next 3 years. I asked him to relay my comments and dissatisfaction to his regional management team and they REFUSED to talk w/ him about the problem!!!!!

Committment? Yea right.

BTW, I had purchased the 61" Tiger Cub last year, and a 52" hydro wb this year. In the next couple of years I will replace my 36" Exmark and JD hydros with Scag.

Comment

I think you have a dealer problem not a Deere problem.

Two Deere dealers in Hillsboro and Sherwood, Oregon were more then willing to let me try out the ZTRs. No problem at all.

I am a Kubota person at heart so if there was anything remotely wrong with the Deere I was ready to chang colors fast.

In this case I have no complaints.
                            Incitatus for the US Senate !

Comment

Thanks for your comments. I suspect that Oregon has a stronger JD presence with agriculture and the leap into commercial has a good tie in.

However, the regional lack of committment for whatever reason mystifies me.

Comment

Working...
                              X