No announcement yet.

Polls? Measuring Wheel? I'm very Upset!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polls? Measuring Wheel? I'm very Upset!

Hello Everybody:

I was looking at the Polls & was looking at this thread...
    http://www.lawnserviceforum.com/showthread.php?t=3830

There's a lot of page views there but not that many voting. The ones that are shock me. 59% guess at it? What's wrong with this picture?

I've been asking LCO's at the shop & only 2 out of 20 use a measuring wheel? I'm giving up & not asking anybody else, because I reckon your eyes are better & more calibrated than mine. So you can tell the difference between 17 acres & 21.5 acres. Hell no, no way you can. A fact!

Yeah, I'm guessing I can mow that with my 60" in about 4 to 6 hours. LOL you might be able to mow it in 3 hours or it might take you 7 hours. What difference does it make? I'll either get the job or not? Who cares, Well from what I'm reading you don't?

So I reckon that you let the customer dictate how many acres they have & you buy it, Hook, Line & Sinker.

Let me see here now & Some of You own more than one of these T00?

You buy a $30K Truck
    A computer from $699 to $3000
    Mowers ranging from $800 to $10K
    A trailer anywhere from $1K to $5K
    And Bla Bla Bla for $30 to $20,000...

You will even spend close to 20 hours Price Shopping a $800 mower & drive a 100 miles to save $85? I hope your Mother in Law moves in with you!

You'll drive 10 extra miles in your 3/4 ton ford pulling a 16' trailer to save .03 cents a gallon on gas, but Kick it at every red light trying to get to the next job quicker.

You have a cell phone, Answering Service, a Answering Machine & you still make potential Customers wait 1 or more days before you get back with them?

You have a $2,000 Dell Desktop at home, a $2,000 Laptop Puter at the Office, but when you give bids you make the customer wait until you can go home or the office & print it out, then you show up a day or so later after 3 other companies been there?

But you will not buy a $50 to $100 measuring wheel? Well I now fully understand now why you don't!

LOL, you need to have about 5 carpet guys come over & figure out how much carpet you need. They measure everything & see how much they vary measuring everything. Just think how far off they would be if they guessed at it?

I hope when one of your loved ones goes to get operated on that the anesthetist (Guesses at it by looking only) thinks yeah he's about 50 years old, non smoker, 180 pounds & probably a Diabetic. Then says yeah it will take about this much to put them under during this operation. I'm good at guessing at it, I got a $300K home & I make over $125K a year. I've only lost 3 out of 100 patients, so I know I'm a good guesser. (Yeah Right)

Do you ever wonder why you have a hard time getting those bigger bids? Hell just guess at it, LOL maybe you get the next one & if you don't who cares?

Lets just guess at everything? Who Cares?

LOL, Lets see how many other people guess at crap that's in some kind of business? OK, I'm waiting? Who else just takes wild guesses & pulls them out of the thin air?

I would say that if you can't make that Measuring Wheel pay off in about 3 jobs you should just give it up & get a job at Lowe's loading Lumber or something? Lowes has great benefits & Profit Sharing.

Or you could do this...

You have 58 accounts various sizes, you have a Measuring Wheel, You know exactly how many square feet of Grass, Mulch, Beds & Concrete surfaces you have.

You have a chart that tells you how long it takes you to mow so many 1,000 sq.ft. with different size mowers, you know how how many linear feet of edging you got & how long it takes you to do it.

No matter what size job you go on, all you got to do is measure it & in just a few minutes you will know within minutes how long it will take you to do that job, You will know how much Mulch it will take & how much fertilizer it will take.

You know how long it takes you to do all your Jobs & low & behold you are averaging the same amount of money per man hour on all your jobs...

So tomorrow if you decide to raise your fee per man hour $1.50, all you got to do is look at your drawing & measurements you took when you gave the Bids and then notify your customers of your raise.

If your customer wants their lawn fertilized or fresh mulch in the front yard only, you just look at your original drawing & measurements in your filing cabinet you took when you gave the bid. You do this on the phone, because you don't need to waste a trip & another hour of your time.

You measure that 17 acre property that Mr. CheatYa told you he had & you figure out that he was only off 4.5 acres of grass. That's enough to buy 2 measuring wheels easy per cut.

Or you could have guessed at that 17 acre property & figured it was 21.5 acres, then over bidded it by 4.5 acres per mowing? Get the Picture?

You will go very far with that measuring wheel, it's a promise from me!

Something else. What if that Indian Guy at the Corner Store guessed at how much gas you bought, Where would you be at Today?

You guess at Games, Cards & Womens Weight if you are real Tough. You don't guess at your Life, Your Business or Your Future! Or Do You?
    GrassMaster, LSF Administrator!
    LawnPro - Lawn Care Business Software:
    www.lawnbook.com --- www.lawnservicing.com

Your exactly right!! I have been scoffed at and laughed at by other scapers in my area for measuring everything. I have been out on bids with other guys and seen them pull up and look at a job, never get out of the truck and submit a proposal for the work. It's death to your business to do it that way. I am glad to hear someone support my view for once.

Comment

Put one in my GIFT BASKET!!!!!
      SENIOR MODERATOR LSF COMMUNITY CONTROL CORDINATOR
      Have a Nice Day, from the Lawn Service Forum S.A.S.M
      www.lawnbook.com
      www.lawnservicing.com
      Click Here: For Lawn Care Business Kit
      Click Here: For FREE Marketing "Mini-Course"
      Please ask questions about the business here, I'm unable to answer them 1 on 1.
      Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Make this Forum Possible!
      NOW AVAILABLE FOR FREE LSF IN 5.0 !!! JUST PM GRASSMASTER TO GET YOURS TODAY!!

""POYMIT"

ATTRITION :alien:

Comment

Originally posted by FreeRadical 45
        Your exactly right!! I have been scoffed at and laughed at by other scapers in my area for measuring everything.
        I went and measured a 120 acre site, ( 11 separate locations) took two employees with me ... it took all of us 3 (days) to cover the place ... in the meanwhile another landscaper on two of the 3 days was watching us thru binoculars ... later when I was awarded the job ( I was low bidder) he said you'll never make a nickle at that price ... say what? I'm thinking to myself ... we came out of the entire season at $48.00 per hour return on every labor hour spent ... that was a school district bid and I was the only company who measured and counted every tree, lawn and shrub. That was in 1985 and $48.00 earned per hour then was good money! That contract lasted 3 years with an automatic 5% increase in year 2 and 3. In addition because we had the maint gig we were also awarded the renovation of the football field ( $350,000 ) gig (again we were low bidder) and I personally made around $50,000 grand on that one job alone! It took 3 solid months to complete and 60% I subbed out!

No wonder so many people in this bizz and all "jammed up" ... they take the easy way out, refuse to do their homework yet expect to get an "A" on the biz report card ...

P.S. That guy with the binoculars thought I was nuts at that price ... how would he know? ... without knowing how much work it was and how long it would take ... he submitted a "wild card" bid and was over me by I think $80,000 give or take ... LOL ... LOL ... what a dreamer taking pot shots at a contract that size ...

Comment

Originally posted by Seascape
          Put one in my GIFT BASKET!!!!!

Grassmaster

I think polls and the numbers gained there in, can be good. However you need to look at all of the polls and their numbers. Fact is the same Poll has the SAME PERCENTAGE OF PART TIMERS. Now most of those cutting grass part time are doing so for one of two reasons. 1st to make more money because there full time job doesn't pay enough. 2nd because they are trying to get away from there present full time job. These people are trying to save on business expense. Little do they realize it is costing them.

Unless a measuring wheel is at least one foot in diameter it is not actuate. Home Cheapo, Northern Tool and Tractor supply has them for as little as $ 59.00 for a plastic one that is not to bad. However for $ 139.00 you can buy a fairly good one that will last a long time.

Anyone not using a measuring wheel is in fact leaving them self open to be cheated and are not being very professional about their bidding. This generally is the start to non-professional work.

Mikey, I have a few haft wore out measuring wheel you are welcome to one. I have gone to satellite measurement.

You can lead a donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Ric
            Mikey, I have a few haft wore out measuring wheel you are welcome to one. I have gone to satellite measurement.

Ric,
            You better go to bed. Dont you have court tomorrow?
            SENIOR MODERATOR LSF COMMUNITY CONTROL CORDINATOR
            Have a Nice Day, from the Lawn Service Forum S.A.S.M
            www.lawnbook.com
            www.lawnservicing.com
            Click Here: For Lawn Care Business Kit
            Click Here: For FREE Marketing "Mini-Course"
            Please ask questions about the business here, I'm unable to answer them 1 on 1.
            Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Make this Forum Possible!
            NOW AVAILABLE FOR FREE LSF IN 5.0 !!! JUST PM GRASSMASTER TO GET YOURS TODAY!!

""POYMIT"

ATTRITION :alien:

Comment

Originally posted by Ric
              I have gone to satellite measurement.

Are you being sarcastic (probly). If not, that probly isn't too accurate.

Comment

Just because you guys cant walk over a prop see with an educated eye how long things will take, doesnt mean that no one can. I have extremly consistant $/hr contracts and I have never once measured any regular maintenance parts at any time. Most of the time I can eye ball mulch too.

Plantings, large mulch jobs and really big mowing jobs (to me) I will measure though.
                Corn Flake

Comment

I deal in 1/4 to 1/2 acher props (House included) that's why i don't need a wheel, i can tell you to a nats ass how long it will take to do it.

Comment

I used wheels for commercial work- All of my residential clients had known lot sizes, and were fairly typical.

I filed a sketch plan when they became clients, then the crew would get copies as needed to get tasks done.

Then came dig cameras. I still had to draw sketch plans occasionally, but the dig photos were posted in the am at the shop for clarification of WHICH tree in the front yard, or Where the valve box was supposed to be (under the turf) when they needed to find it. (and uncover it)

Irrrigation installs- photographing the system before the turf was laid also brought reference points to the sketch plan where measurements were drawn showing the distance from the house a head was or such.

Guys like me and Ric, whose clients typically live in a cookie cutter one-after-the-other subdivisions, used them infrequently. Lawndaryls whose client list is going to be rural, better know how to do the math.

For your own good, you ought to use one. For your competitors good, don't.

I think a certain number of these folks, they don't want to because of the math. (Simple stuff, too) These same operators most likely don't know diddly about their earnings either.

I've said it before and it fits here now.

Know numbers, Know Profits.
                    No numbers, No profits.

Take care of the numbers, the numbers will take care of everything else.

Liars can figure, but figures never lie.
                    GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

Originally posted by GeeVee
                      Take care of the numbers, the numbers will take care of everything else.

Liars can figure, but figures never lie.
                      But it has also been said, there are lies, damn lies and stats.
                      Corn Flake

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Sinclair
                        I deal in 1/4 to 1/2 acher props (House included) that's why i don't need a wheel, i can tell you to a nats ass how long it will take to do it.
                        I always wondered what a nat's ass looked like.

Comment

I think if more people new how to use them and what to convert the measurments over to prices more would use them. I've talked to several people myself and they didn't know how to measue everything out and how to tag it with a price. Of course the price would very depending on where you live.
                          Mike

Comment

I am glad of one thing... it seems like we are on the right track according to some of you.

We personally meet/consult and "pace off" the properties that we bid on... no matter how large or small. However, the measuring wheel is something that we are going to have to incorporate! Great idea!

Also, we used to do as someone earlier said... walk the property and then go home to figure the bid. No longer. We have a triplicate bid-sheet that we take with us onsite and after meeting w/their purchasing or contact person that handles the business RFP, we submit them a written job bid on the spot retaining a copies for our records and then follow them up with phone calls to discuss any questions or cover any other outstanding issues.

Thanks for the Great Advice!! Without walking the property, (especially larger ones in an industrial parkway) we have found that there can be hidden "cost eating" expenses.. Like a ditch that needs additional weedeating, a culvert, a ravine, excess tree growth that requires trimming to allow you to mow underneath them appropriately, brush-hogging... (some companies fail to tell you about their back of the warehouse fields and assume you will just do that for the same price)... ect...

The only thing I don't believe in is being the lowest bidder on the job. We price accordlingly for what we feel is a standard of work that we will not compromise on. Our value is pricing effectively and ensuing a longterm relationship with quailty results and good customer service. We personally contact our customers several times per month either via phone call or in person while on site and touch base briefly to let them know about the weather delays, see if they are happy with our work, etc... It has kept us many repeat customers for the past 5 years.... They love the personal feel.

But we must get a wheel!! Thank you thank you!! Great idea!

Perenlawn

Comment

Attention Everybody...

Spelling Police Alert!

The Gnat is the Official State Bird of Georgia!

I'm very Lucky, I live just Narth of the Gnat Line!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEHA!
                              GrassMaster, LSF Administrator!
                              LawnPro - Lawn Care Business Software:
                              www.lawnbook.com --- www.lawnservicing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X