Toro Powered By Tecumseh ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toro Powered By Tecumseh ?

While walking in home depot yesterday a Toro cought my attention. At first i just noticed and was suprised that they were still useing side valve engines.As i walked closer i realized the motor was a tecumseh. On the box underneath toro claims this engine to be a toro exclusive and advertise a 5 yr ,first pull guarantee. On top the engine has a very pretty,ergonomically designed plastic houseing with a TORO sticker plastered on it. I had to look underneath all this and found the Tin Indian insignia with the words Tecumseh on the metal starter/blower houseing. This is very well hidden as if there ashamed or somthing. I was wondering if anyone who owns one has a owners manual and if they advertise that the engine is made by tecumseh and not toro. I did a search on toro to see what they advertise but all they say is toro 4 cycle,and no specific details.They must offer an overhead valve or cam engine on there most expensive units, but H.DEPOT didnt have any on display to look at. Does anyone out there have one and could you let me know if there honda powered or overhead Tecumsehs. Hardboiled posted a question about a toro 2 cycle some time back i think, and being toro and lawnboy are now connected i would assume the 2 cycle is also really a tecumseh. At least lawnboy admits there 4 cycles are tecumsehs instaed of claiming they make it, so i am interested if toro is useing tecumsehs 2 cycle as well, claiming they (toro) build there own 2 cycles.Any info from toro users would be greatly appreciated.SINCERELY,TRANS
    GOD BLESS AMERICA (MY HOME SWEET HOME ) !!!!!

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Good eye

I seen them to.I didnt know that they had a differnt motor on it.

Comment

The Toro 2 cycle I have is powered by a Suzuki. I don't know that they ever used any other 2 cycle on them. I think the 4 cycle commercial toros use a Kawi.
      I have a Tecumseh OHV on a Snapper. Its been dependable.
      Question for you Transman, did you ever use the crank start toro of old. Instead of a pull rope, you wound a handle on the flywheel housing, which wound a spring, then released the dogs by a lever on the mower handle. Wasn't that a Tecumseh.

Comment

Yup!

I believe your correct H.B as i remember stumbling across some vintage tecumsehs that had the old wind crank starters. I think wisconsen or continental actually made a small vertical shaft push mower engine dureing the late 60`s that used the crank setup also. Well regardless i guess they werent to good as they became extinct and the pull cord must have proven more dependable and efficient. After posting the question back on the 16th i did a forum search for Toro push mowers to find what engines were run but the search mainly pointed me to threads about larger Toro equiptment. There was only one post related to push toro`s that Jack.D made and he mentioned the suzuki as you said. How is that engine working out anyway? I remember you bought a new one some time back that was sparking.Did it finally clear up? How does she run?SINCERELY, TRANS.

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Comment

If I remember correctly Toro owns Lawnboy now, so it could be the same 4-stroke engines. If I were to buy a Toro (and I am considering it) I would get the 2 stroke model they have and would stay away from the HD Toro's.

Comment

It's running fine, always starts easy. Haven't run it in the dark since then so I can't say about the sparks. The drive and blade control are my only complaint, you'd think they could've made it more ergonomic, and the vibration seems to be excessive. I have the BBC, maybe the zone start is easier to use. I didn't look at the zone starts. I feel fortunate to have gotten some of the last 2 cycles by Toro.

Comment

Nearly all of Toro 2 stage snowblowers are powered by Tecumseh. Many Toro mowers are powered by Briggs. The only engine Toro produced independantly was the 2 stroke Duraforce which will now only be used on the single stage snowblowers & one model of 2 stage blower thanks to the Enviro Nuts.

Toro currently uses Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh. Kaw, Kohler, Duraforce.

Comment

2 stroke extinction?

No worries about 2 stroke mower selection.Lawnboy.com shows 2 stroke lawnmower power alive and well. Still have the evinrude based 2 stroke DURAFORCE available on 8 different models includeing there commercial 21" GoldPro and SilverPro`s. They have a Gold series Honda powered On 3 models.Tecumseh powers 5 models which is their silver series.I guess lawnboy is far from dead with all those seperate models available, sixteen all together .eight 2 cycle,and eight 4 cycle . If or when Toro jumps ship H.B you can still count on L.B to be there for your 2 cycle walk behind mower needs.LAWNBOY POWER,TRANS

Comment

Mr. Transman, the Duraforce powered Lawnboys will no longer be manufactured. There is still a huge stock that when depleted will never be replenished. The Duraforce will only be used on the Snowblowers. The Lawnboys are Dead.

Please mix oil w/your gas in your next Honda powered Lawnboy to voice your discontent.

Comment

While we're on Lawnboys

Jack,

I have a lawnboy with the 6.5 duraforce. It's two years old. Hardly ever gets used anymore. In fact, it's probably been three months since it's been started. Anyway, today we tried to start it, and nothing. I tried a new spark plug, cleaned the air filter, put new gas in it, all the simple things that usually get a two-stroke going, and nothing.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Jack.d,counting On Jack.d Support

You may be right Jack,the light at the end of the tunnell may finally go out.I will appoint you administer of KEEP THE 2 CYCLE ALIVE. Oddly enough a lawnboy dealer told me the same exact stockpiled story, way back in 1998. The first L.B dealer i called last month to get some parts told me 2 cycle parts were also unavailable. This same gent said i would not find one newer leftover 2 stroke L.B anywhere because they were all gone. After finding Local John Deere dealer carried L.B parts and mowers i headed there in hope they would have a few engine parts i needed ,still left over hideing on a shelf ,because of the demise of the 2 cycle. Very supriseing they had every part for 1982 vintage L.B antique 2 cycle includeing $6 dollar ring set.I was amazed parts were in stock and cheaper than Briggs. I then asked what my chances were of finding and aquireing brand new leftover Duraforce powered unit hideing somewhere waiteing for me to save for time capsule. I told this gent about other L.B gent who claimed they were gone forever and i was just too late.He laughs,opens catalog and asks which duraforce model i would like and how many hundred should he start ordering,plus there were 10 of these phantums in corner waiteing for immediate removel, if i wanted to take immediately.I ask why other L.B fello made such misleading statement and why would he pass up the potential sale? I dont know but he is a idiot regardless was his reply. Now i must agree because the other gent insisted i would not find 1 new duraforce ,PERIOD.WRONG ,i now had 10 sitting at my feet and any number i wanted through order. Plus he told me i was wasteing my time looking for parts for a 22 yr old unit that wasnt worth fixing period ,but in fact all parts i needed that day were available,in stock, and unbelieveably cheap.While pulling ring set # i asked just out of curiosity what would happen if i needed a hard part such as cylinder block assembly?Gent punches in part# and replies available just takes 3 days.Ummm somthing harder? How about the crankshaft?checks, 3 days.ANYTHING i could possibly need they can get to shorten story.Like he said, if i was some nut i could order every part individually and build the motor from scratch if i wanted includeing stickers.Plus he did a quick check and this applied for every motor built from the 60`s up till presant. I told him the same thing you said about how high this mountain of engines must have been because a L.B fello told me back in 98 they were stockpiled but would be gone withen a year.Now 6 years later there still selling them so this must have been a very wide ,high,deep storage building because there still filling holes atop mowers all these yrs later and also got a shot of steroids because also have grown in displacement and jumped from 5 - 6.5 hp. This gent running the J.D dealership claims L.B is still produceing new engines and they are selling well in mexico and overseas.Plus they are slowly adjusting port design with newer cleaning burning 2 cycle oils plus anticipateing leaner mix ratios and oil injection that will run in 50-1 to 400-1 ratio depending on load eventually be as clean or cleaner than 4 cycles. I believe if they keep the environuts like kennedy,gore,etc at bay who know nothing about polution ,its causes , or anything else for that matter, the 2 stroke will live on. Back in the early 70`s they were hanging all kind of garbage on the automotive internal combustion engine strangling it ,and claimed it was hopeless and we would be running all electric autos by the year 90.Now we have modern fuel injection ,computer controlled engines that make more power per cubic inch while cutting polution discharge to a fraction of what they did in the 70`s.1000 2004 engines running pollute as much as (1) 65-70 era engine of equal size.Also look to european countries ,japan,china, etc and the 2 cycle engine is florishing ,booming ,powering millions of scooters,constantly growing in popularity,and economy. They sure as heck arent turning back no matter who tells them to.I`ve read articles about these little scooters compareing fuel consumption to a leak you cant notice and that to try to compare to its electric heavy battery powered counterpart ridiculas because to charge batteries much, much more fossil fuel would need burning to produce energy to charge lumbersome unfeasable batteries and we would be going backwards rather than forwards.The democratenvironuts do this occasionaly based on stupidity.JACK.D will have to talk sence into them or hold them at bay.That is JACK.D new mission.The europeans and jap/china are makeing oil for 2 cycles according to JASO specs that put what we use over here look like bakon greese.The BIA and NMMA spec oil like TCW-lll is crap that has little protection and the only spec they pass is basically a spec of how many fish the oil wont kill when used in two cycle, water cooled engines .Hence the term TCW stands for (two cycle water ) approved.and thats about it.Useing JASO FC rated oil or ISO-EG-D+ or the equivilent cuts polution way down,smokeless with no residue to near nothing with superior lubrication properties so i think they will start being mandatory and the 2 stroke will survive as long as no political agenda crap gets involved. JACK.D will keep morons like kennedy ,kerry and others who want to crush engines they dont/cant understand busy untill 2 cycle engine cleenlieness ,economy can be proven.GO JACK.D,sincerely ,TRANS.

Comment

I can see their next step, if 2 cycles are to make it through the "environut" gauntlet. They'll have us buying our gas mix at the pump, no more self mixing, paying our other arm and leg for it, and the oil will be recycled from unused carbohydrates since no one is eating them anymore.
                        Can we learn from other countries? I think we should in some things. We don't learn from our own mistakes most of the time. Our roads supposedly suck compared to abroad. The farthest I've been is about 90 miles beyond Cuba, but I don't have to go to Germany to know our roads suck. You always have some lobby trying to slow progress.
                        By the way, Amsoil is recommended for applications that require JASO FC, ISO-L-EGD, so it must meet or EXCEED those requirements. We have our solution, but the tree huggers wont gain from it so it gets pushed aside.

Comment

Working...
                        X