Purchase landscape business - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase landscape business - HELP

I have an existing lawn care business where I do light landscaping as well, I started negotiations to purchase an existing landscape business, and am wondering if the price is right.

The biz does about $200,000.00 a year in sales with about a 55% profit margin. They only have 1 year round commercial maintenance account (which brings about 45,000.00). The rest of the revenue is from paver patios & walkways, decks, landscape installations, minimal lawn repair/installations and misc spring/fall cleanups and mulching.

His equipment is worth about $30,000.00

Based on this info, what do you think the biz is worth? And what other variables should I look into to determine the business worth?

Thanks,
    John

ProCareLS,
    Wwhheeewww.... there are a lot of variables in this equation. First off, I would ask to see his past 5 years sales records to see if the business is consistantly doing 200K a year in sales. Selling price based on expected sales is iffy unless there is a consistant history of the sales being what they are claiming.

You'll hear all sorts of suggestions in regard to how much to ask for a business that is up for sale. Three to six months gross sales plus cost of equipment would be fair in my opinion. The 55% profit margin seems a little high unless he just has a great mark up. It seems like the average is around 30% to 35% for the average business.

I would suggest getting the companies financials together and let an accountant have a look at them prior to actually making an offer to the guy.

Good luck though in whatever you decide. It sounds like a heck of a deal and could certainly put a lawn company on the map in your area.

Curtis
    EvergreenLawns.com
    Free Online Mulch Calculator

Lawn Maintenance Tips

Comment

It sounds like most of the $200,000 is in ONE TIME JOBNS that you will have to go out and find.......i.e. the business does not have much in the way of existing contracts (other than the $45,000 COmmercial account)...so don;t base the "value" of the company on the $200,000 in Gross revenue....base it on the TANGIBLES....the equipment, and any contracts you would DEFINATELY get by buying the business.

Comment

ProCareLS

Landscape install is an entirely different business than maintenance. Who you know is as important as what you know. $200,000 gross is a very small landscape business and if $ 45,000 is maintenance then $ 150,000 is really small. 55% margin is an industry standard for a Install company. Remember there is a lot of selling to do and you are entering a Feast or Famine Business. You need a lot of reoccurring income to help you get it going.

Now if this is a one man with a helper type operation where the maintenance covers the nut. Then the installs put the butter on the bread. It can in fact be a good thing. However how does that fit into your business plan? How much experience do you have with install? How good are you at selling? There are a whole lot of "HOW" question you must ask your self. We can only give you food for thinking.

I have purchased a few maintenance companies and been successful at it. However their maintenance accounts have been the same type of business that I had a lot of experience with. I culled many accounts and resold thoses that were not perfect for me. However when I made the move from maintenance to install I did so slowly and by upselling my present customers. By moving slowly into an area I was not totally familiar with, I learned from my mistakes. Because I was doing a small volume of installs I had the oppertunity to make the job right even if I lost money. Now I am still learning everyday but doing a higher volume and making money at it. I have since sold off most of my maintenance accounts. However I still keep those high margin accounts to cover the nut.

You can lead a donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass drink.

Comment

Originally posted by ProCareLS
          Based on this info, what do you think the biz is worth? And what other variables should I look into to determine the business worth?Thanks,John
          John ... you should talk to me first about this ... before doing anything ... I have the expertise to save you money and a lot of heartaches with this.

Best regards

Phil

Comment

Phil,

I PM'd you. Let me know when we can talk.

John

Comment

Working...
            X