Ferris IS5000Z CAT Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferris IS5000Z CAT Diesel

Any of you guys using the Ferris5000Z with the 31.5 HP CAT Diesel? I have some very large acreage contracts coming up next year and have been considering two of them. Should be cheaper on fuel, 72 inch cut, just not sure about the CAT? Any input from anyone using this machines or similar ones will help me make a decision.

Not sure about the Cat? Caterpillar is one of the finest diesel engine manufacturers on the planet. While I have not used their smaller engines, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a shot.

In the larger engine market the Caterpillar engines are very well respected. For example....... I know someone who owns a semit that is Cat powered. No matter if he is bobtailing without a trailer, or pulling 45,000 pounds behind him, that thing will still go ~110 MPH. It runs like a scalded dog! He told me "The Cummins engines are cheaper to rebuild, but those Cats will get you through the mountains like you are driving on flat ground. And they flat-out haul ass". Those were his words anyhow.

Wow. I just read an article about the IS500Z. Impressive. Yeah, I would buy one. Especially since I just read that the Caterpillar engine on that thing is made to run 6,000 hours before being overhauled. Holy smokes!

Woody
    Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I have looked at Ferris mowers in the past. I like them, but am concerned about "more moving parts to wear out". I don't have a dealer very close at all and the rep. I talked to could not give me names of high hour users.

Check that out first. I did like the look and design of them though. AS for the Cat Diesel, have no fear.
      Jeeps are like women.....much more fun with their TOPS OFF!

A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able ones.

Do you guys think Obama is going to kiss us after he is done with us or is he going to put on his belt and head out the door?

Comment

I actually use Ferris now, they are a big product here in Indiana. I have had w/b for 4 years and never an ounce of trouble out of them. I know they are a little more expensive than others, but 4 years and no trouble says a lot. The big thing is too, if I have any problems the dealer I deal with moves me to the front of the lineup as far as repairs. If they cant have the repair done in 24 hours they give me a loaner. This is true on all of my equipment, saws, blowers, etc. I guess I owe some loyality to them for that, plus the CAT is impressive!! Just never used a 72 inch cut before, I have heard some other guys have had trouble with that wide a deck. But the ferris is really put together good, they are actually the old Simplicity company.

Comment

Originally posted by FreeRadical 45
          Just never used a 72 inch cut before, I have heard some other guys have had trouble with that wide a deck.
          I'm just curious as of what kind of trouble? I've used a JD F1145 w/ a 72" deck and found it easier to use than a F911 w/ a 60" deck especially since you could both sides underneath trees when trimming. Although the JD's were front decks, I believe the decks are still positioned side-side the same as a ztr, right? (don't own a ztr, so I am not sure)
          oooooooooo yyyyeah
          some people pay to get a tan. I get paid to tan.

living the life of a rockstar

Comment

The guys who I have talked to who are running 72 inch decks are using Xmark. They said they have a tendancy to scalp for some reason, I have never used one myself, but the Ferris looks very well made, I know my other Ferris units are very durable and have had no trouble with them.

Comment

yea, I know the scalping would be a problem. I figured you were saying somethin like it was hard to keep it lined up or something.
              oooooooooo yyyyeah
              some people pay to get a tan. I get paid to tan.

living the life of a rockstar

Comment

Re: Ferris IS5000Z CAT Diesel

If the engine ever goes bad you cannot get parts for the engine. machcanic said it is a though away engine and a new one was hard to find for 6000 dollars. On mine the fan belt got into the coolent hose and it over heated messed up number 1 cylender and it is not worth fixing. I could not beleive i could not get parts for the engine but it is not. I wish i knew this when i bought it in 2004.

Comment

Re: Ferris IS5000Z CAT Diesel

I have been using Ferris for a year now and it's been so far satisfying with CAT diesel.

Tow Truck fairfax

Comment

Working...
                  X