Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merging wife's cleaning biz with my mowing biz???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging wife's cleaning biz with my mowing biz???

My wife curently runs her own house cleaning business. She does well but only wants to take on as many accounts as she can physically handle herself. I think she needs to take the next step and start hiring employees to handle all the accounts that she turns down or ones that she could get by advertising more. (she did very little advertising to get the work that she has now).

My wife on the other hand wants no part of expanding and just wants to keep working by herself. She doesn't want the headache that comes with bigger business.

I have proposed the Idea of merging my young start-up part time mowing business with her cleaning business so that I could run the whole show and let her keep doing what she does best plus handle the sales calls to that side of the business.

My questions are :

Should we do this?

Are there tax implications or benifits to merging or staying two seperate businesses?

If we did merge, should we run it as one entity or as two seperate divisions with one parent company?

Finaly, If we ran it as one biz, what type of a name would you give a business like that? My wife's biz is called Susie's House cleaning and mine is called Watkins Lawn Service. I was thinking of something like:
    Watkins property services
    or
    Watkins property solutions
    or something like that. I thought maybe we could even kill 2 birds with 1 stone when it comes to advertising.

Sorry about the length of my post. Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Dave
    Dave

Dodge
    Toro
    Echo
    Lund
    Yamaha
    Bud light

These are a few of my favorite things

I'd start a new company (Watkin's Property Solutions or whatever) that would own both but you would still have to maintain seperate books. Mixing gets really complicated quick and heaven forbid a split..... I know of a local company here that is privately owned and has made it a point to buy up competitors and still keep their names because of local name recognition of those companies. Just a thought. FWIW I have my own seperate companies and my husband has his own lawn company and we live under the same roof and manage just fine. Good Luck.

Sarah

Comment

Working...
    X