5 Things to Do Before The Winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Things to Do Before The Winter

For those who own lawn and landscape businesses in states like Texas, Arizona and Florida, you don't have as much "down time" as those who run their companies in states like Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan and Nebraska.

Regardless of where your business is located, there are some things you should consider "taking care of" right around this time of year. Here is a list.

1.) Collect your accounts receivables. I shouldn't have to go into too much detail on this one. This is your money. You earned it. Go get it. Write letters, make phone calls,knock on doors if necessary. You can't sit there and complain you are having cash flow issues when you are not actively working to collect money that is rightfully your's.

2.) Winterize equipment. If there are different pieces of equipment you will not be using again until the spring, do the right thing and protect your investment. This could mean changing oil, filters, fuel additives, cleaning, etc. Equipment is not cheap and it is always smart to do what you can to make it last.

3.) Determine your employees status. If you haven't done this already, do it now. Figure out if they are going to remain on board or if you are going to place them on unemployment. Be up front and honest with your people. Don't leave them hanging. It is not fair to them to have them believe that they will have steady work and a steady pay check if that is not going to be the case. It is also not your responsibility to "find things" for them to do just to give them hours. If the work isn't there, tell them so and let them collect.

4.) Contact your best clients. Keeping in touch with your customers is one of many things that will separate your from everyone else out there. But this time of year, it is a good idea to reach out to your best (maybe even highest paying) clients and check in with them. Ask them if there is anything else they want done before the end of the calendar year. Make sure they are happy with everything. it is smart business and strengthens your relationships.

5.) Eliminate the unnecessary. I don't care what the unnecessary is, just get rid of it. This could be unnecessary expense. This could also be unnecessary practices and procedures. Time wasters. Take a long hard look at your business and figure out what can be and should be eliminated and get rid of it. Don't think about it, just do it.

I agree with you but I would add start putting a plan together for next year. Determine what your revenue targets are, what your marketing plans are, what spend rate are you looking at, what new assets are you planning to acquire etc. Write it down, budget it, schedule it. Use it as a guide going into the new year.

Dave
    Yardwork Etc
    www.yardworketc.net
    Dave
    www.yardworketc.net

Comment

. i'm done after friday, i hope.......................:laughing:

steve-o
      "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

I'm more into beaches, white wine, and caviar myself...but to each his own. I'll be thinking about sand instead of lawns.

Lonnie
        www.eastsidelandcare.com
        Commercial Lawn Services

Comment

Now that winter is upon us what is everyone doing to either continue generating revenue or just pass the time until the season starts again?

Comment

need any lawn logo . you can contact with me . see my Logo demo . Or Email me y2rashed412@gmail.com . Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X