No announcement yet.

Question about High Speed Internet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's KB. Shows it when I download songs or whatever.

The sites vary on speed from 250KB - 350KB or so. I assume it's the other sites set speeds and it flucuates throughout the download.

So when I was downloading with the phone companies high speed last night, I get roughly the same range of speeds, and it takes the same amount of time.

So I guess my question is: When would you ever be downloading at 3Mb per second like the cable company or phone company claims? I could download a typical song in 1 second? I have not seen such a thing.
    a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
    Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

You ARE downloading that fast. The browser is showing 350 KiloBYTES per second. Line speed is rated in KiloBITS per second. 8 bits per byte. There IS some overhead, so a rough translation that works well is figuring 10 bits per byte (in the old days there were start bits, stop bits, and parity bits just to name a little bit of overhead).

You ARE getting the throughput they speak of. A kilobyte is 1,024 bytes.

1024x8=8,192 bits. So, 350,000x8,192=2,867,200 without any overhead. In other words, 3 million bits per second, or 3 Mbps. 3 millon BYTES per second would be right about 25 million BITS per second (without any overhead included). Trust me when I tell you they DO NOT OFFER THAT!

You are getting what you pay for. You just don't know the difference between a bit and a byte. Let's not even get into a nibble or a word! LOL!
      Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Okay, stop trying to confuse me! I do know the difference between a bit and a byte. I just thought this high speed stuff was rating at bytes per second. So when I see 3500/sec download, I was thinking 3.5Mb/sec.

Now it all makes sense.......they are trying to pull a fast one on people!

Thank you for clearing that up.
        a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

LOL! It IS 3 Mbps... Watch the CAPITAL LETTER! B is Bytes, b is bits.

Fess up, you don't know if you just got bit or you just got a byte. LOL!!!!

Oh, and a nibble is 4 bits, and a word is 16 bits. And now I am having flashbacks from college! Cripes... Anyone up for discussing mnemonics for the 6802 series of Motorola microprocessors? How about some good old machine language programming?

Thanks Erich. Thanks a lot. Now I'll have flipped out dreams all night. LOL!
          Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

College flashbacks? I got flashbacks from highschool! Anyone up for writing a Turbo Pascal program? Cobol? C++? Anything?

I've been away from the nitty gritty for too long.

P.S. - Quit laughing at me!!
            a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

You need to test the speed of your internet if you want to know the exact speed of the internet you’re using. There are a lot of speed test tools available on the internet.Click here to check your ptcl speedput.
              But it will take a lot of your time to test all of them to make sure which one’s accurate. Here’s this tool that I found after a lot of digging
              . Unlike other speed test tools, this one takes less time to test the speed of your internet. Also, it tests various aspects of your internet and the results are so clear that you’ll be able to determine the actual problem easily.

Comment

Working...
              X