Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simplicity 1693080 - Regent, 14HP Hydro - white smoke

hello, my first post, appreciate the help

so I go to mow my lawn after 2 months of neglecting my lawn, went into my shed to get the tractor, battery is dead. disengage the transmission, pull the tractor out to the car to jump start it. tractor starts fine. disconnect all the cables, close everything up and start to mow the law. Maybe 1 minute later the engine starts to die, I have no gas. as its stumbling I run to get the gas can, filler her up and she starts to run perfectly again. as the engine was stumbling white smoke started coming out of the exhaust, this tractor is 12 years old, I maintain this engine as I should every year, and I have never had any type of problem.

when I added gas, the engine seemed to run fine again, but maybe 10 seconds later it started to stumble again, with tons of white smoke, but she catches again and everything seems fine. 20 seconds later same thing. so I cut the engine and take a look around. I notice there is oil on the left side of the engine, near the oil drain area, but specifically where a rod or something throttle related goes into the engine. I then check the engine oil and she is low. So I go back to the shed and sure enough there is oil on the floor, which I didn't notice before because I had to pull the tractor out.

So I go back and fill her up with oil and give her another start. same cycle starts, with the stumbling and white smoke. so I shut her down before I did any more damage. should I have let it run longer after I filled her with oil?

here's a picture of where I think the oil is leaking from, can't tell if it is coming from the gasket or the shaft.
    http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/simplicity.JPG

I appreciate any help and suggestions on what to look for.

thanks

joe

Oil leakage generally doesn't produce white smoke, however modern oils getting past the piston rings or valve guides in small amounts can cause a white colored smoke, or at least my Briggs Intek Pro 8hp pony motor did for awhile before it died. Watch the oil level closely, in your pic there appears to be a small amount of loss from the govenor shaft seal, check the compression to see if it's in spec and keep the cooling system clean as overheating can cause problems like this. If you notice any deposits on the spark plug insulator or electrode thats likely to be oil getting into the cylinder but at this point it sounds like you were working it hard and it started to get hot.

Comment

You probably had gas leaking through the carb needle and seat while stored. This could be due to formation of varnish, debris in the gas, heat expanding the air in the tank and pressuring it, etc. Gas could then leak past needle/seat, pass through carb into crankcase and dilute your oil and cause leakage through sealed areas that did not previously leak. It could also cause the white smoke. Smell your oil and you will likely detect a gasoline odor. Drain and refill the oil after you clean out your carbs needle/seat interface. It may be as simple as adding some seafoam or equivalent to the gas tank and running it for a bit. If this is your situation - oil dilution from gasoling leaking into it, you will certainly need to change the oil, before damage is done to bearings and cylinder walls.

Comment

Back to add that the float hanging open or leaking would also cause the stumbling and poor running (as well as the smoke), due to excess fuel/flooding.

Comment

Working...
        X