In the rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the rain

Can anyone tell me the ill effects that the rain has on a mower? I had been out mowing on a clear day, with a forecast calling for 20% chance rain. Well, in a matter of 10 minutes the sky darkened and the rain began coming down. I had an open trailer with a ztr, a walk behind and a push mower. It was unfortunate that I still had to travel back to the shop until I could get the equipment out of the rain. When I pulled in and began to unload the equipment for cleaning and sharpening, the ztr started fine, but the walk behind wouldn't start, nor the push mower. I've tried minor things, but no luck. Can anyone help me out here?

Andrew

No wet starts....

Hi, I'am a new member and this is my first post.
    I have run into this problem as well on my Toro WB.There is probably some small wiring on the outside of the motor that uses spade type connectors.These connectors are not waterproof by any means.Water or moisture can and will get inside these connections and cause a short or ground to the ignition system preventing/impeading spark to the plug.Take them apart and let them dry in the sun (or hairdryer) thoroughly.I used liquid electrical tape on these after re-connecting and have not had a no-start problem since.Another thing u can do is use some heat shrink tubing on the connections to prevent future problems.(Why don't they come like that?I dunno,lol)
    Another thing that can happen is water intrusion in the intake/air cleaner box,although this is less likely because it would take some water force to do that.I usually use a raincoat or garbage bag(bungied on)over the motor(s) of my equipment if I can't get them inside before rain.Just dry things out and think waterproof!
    Last edited by 1/3rd Rule; 05-15-04, 08:08 PM.

Comment

You can shoot something like wd40 on the electrical, plug wire, etc. When you get in from the rain. I usually blow everything off with the compressor, you can use your blower if you don't have one. Good practice to remove the air cleaner and make sure its not soaked. They don't usually get wet. I have to do that on a trimmer. The air filter cover will hold water, then when you tip it the right way it sucks some in and dies. Wet week, wasn't it? I got soaked through, 4 times in 3 days.
      The biggest problem the rain caused my mower was some drive belt slippage from all the wet grass in the pulleys and belts. Dreaming about a hydro....
      Rain in the fall on your stuff and you have to watch the cables, keep them lubed. Water can freeze in the housing and lock up the cable

Comment

Waterlogged

I agree with the posts above. Especially when it comes to the water entering the airbox. I`ve had to drop a few float boals on certain machines after the innitial rain plus the blizzord of water that blows around and on the mowers driveing down the highway with an open trailer. If it doesent start after a full night of drying out a waterlogged airfilter may have let water be sucked in on the initial attempts of starting. Pull the plug and check for water on the electrodes. If the exhaust valves are open during transport on a rainy day water may also blow in the combustion chamber through some of the cheaper/simpler mufflers. Unless your a mechanic and dont mind draining bowls and clearing the combustion chambers of water, covering them dureing the rain will prevent a lot of headaches.GOOD LUCK ,TRANS.
        GOD BLESS AMERICA (MY HOME SWEET HOME ) !!!!!

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Comment

Working...
        X