What is wrong with my new Turf Tiger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is wrong with my new Turf Tiger?

Ok first off with my old walkbehind I was mowing at what I thought was 2.5-3 inches on a regular basis. Well I got my new Turf Tiger with a 61in Advantage deck out yestrerday and set it at 2.5 inches and I was bottoming out on everything and everytime I turn. So I set it at 3 and I was still bottoming out and tearing up the ground when I turned. I am so coonfused. I also found myself spraying sparks when mowing along sidewalks. Never had these problems with the walkbehind. It was a 48in with gator glades. I usually mowed with 1 or 2; .5in spacers under the front tires. I am slmost afraid to hop on this mower and mow some of my doctors houses tomorrow. I tried mowing at 3.5 and it still just looks incredibly wrong to me. I just can;t understand why I am bottomsing out everytime I go over a small bump or even just make a turn at the end of my strip. SOmeone please help!!!

Hydro Walks are much better units for residentials than mid mount riders. One reason among many is the operator is able to pop the deck when scalping issues arise. Please trade your Scag TT for an eXmark Tracer 60"/23hp Kaw..

Comment

First measure from the ground up to the cutting edge of the blade on both machines and see if they are measuring out to the settings.

If, they are at 2.5" or 3" then check your tire presure could be low.

When you make your turns on that machine use the foot pedal for the deck and raise it an inch or so while turning also you can do this over high spots so not to scalp, then just let it downwhen you are clear.

That Turf Tiger is great machine and will give you many years of service.

Comment

Likely, you need to check how many spacers you have between the deck and the blade.

Forget the height increment scale to get set up with. Use your eye to guage whats best and then you can move up or down using the scale to make and adjustment. Don't get hung up on "inches"........

It would appear you have the blades too close to the ground because of spacers, not deck height.

Let us know, eh?
        GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

The Turf Tiger ony has one spacer about 2" thick. I don't think they put an extra on and added a 2" longer bolt. But you can check.

Take a close look at the holes for tha scale settings, it can be tricky to read since they are on an angle.

If you measure and compare it to the scale sitting than that will tell if its set up correctly.

If the measurement is correct to the scale than I would look at tire pressure.

If the reading is off, than I would adjust the linkage rods to raise the deck to that scale reading.

Comment

A unit that big should be used on large commercial/residential properties, the flatter the better. Stick with the w/b for most of your small to average size turfs. I have 3 commercial mowers 48" w/b 52"w/b and a 60" zturn 75% of the time the zturn sits on my trailer. The one I use the most is the 48" because it leaves a much better cut. All my equipment is Toro

Comment

Right.

Re-read your post and I now understand.

Your old mower had this relationship to its weight, the depth off the deck and more specifically the height of the blades and "edge' of the deck, that gave you a specific cut for your turf type. Predictable results if you changed heights.

Now your new mower is a ZTR rider? Heavier, plus your weight, new operational techniques needed, mid-mounted deck compared to outfront, and, Kentucky is kind of hilly , ain it?

Set-up is crucial.

Need help? Post a link of the model you bought.
              GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

Please trade your mid mount for a hydro walk if doing primarily landscaped res..

The Scag SWZU 61" is a competent unit.

Comment

While a W/B is a great machine, the 'ZTR' is far more productive.

I will put a 61" 6000 sq ft lawn weekly and many other lawns less than 25K. In fact We only have 1 W/b and it stays at the shop 4 out of 5 days we run Scag 61" Scag 52" and a Wright Sentar 61". And the Tiger Cub 52" sits 50% of the week and considered a backup machine.

Comment

Do not cut below 3.5 inches with your rider. Most properties I cut at 3.75 -4 inches with my rider, otherwise you'll risk scalping.

P.S. I use my 52" rider on all properties. Yes, even the little 3000 sq ft ones with no problems. My walk behind has not left the trailer this year! I have a few properties that are a little rough that i'll just use the 21 incher on.

Comment

If it is new then you need to take it back to the dealer and let them adj the cutting height with the cutting height selector. I just got mine new turf tiger last weekend and I first set it on the same setting as my 72" saber tooth tiger mower which by the way does a great job in a normal size yard with out scalping so you see you do not need a walk behind for a normal size mower this one does just fine Thank you .
                      After I figured it out I readjusted the custom baffle underneath to the bottom setting this all but elimated all the blow back plus I was cutting on the 3 setting on the saber tooth I had to go done to a 2.25 setting on the new turf tiger to get the same height as the saber tooth mower I am relly pleased with the turf tiger only problem is the oil filter is not in the best of places to get to on the 29 Kaw DFI this one has a 61" advantage deck Hope the helps you out TJ

Comment

I agree with being able to use it on most residential lawns (large and small) since it's an awesome time saver. The only time my 48" w/b comes off the trailer is to cut steep hills and gates that the 61" TT won't fit through. My TT only has one 2" spacer/spindle, but the spacer isn't the problem you're having since it's designed to maintain the blade in proper relation to the top and bottom of the deck for best performance. You need to measure your blade height. As mentioned before, just because you have it on setting #3 doesn't mean that the blades are 3" above the ground. Some mowers have the numbers coordinated with "true cutting height" but I haven't found that to be true with the Scag Z's. You can use the deck height adjustment bar, but I was only able to get mine within .5" of true height.

Comment

Well after looking over the mower for a while I realiuzed a few things. You have 4 main tires on your deck. The front 2 were set about 1 inch off the ground and the rear 2 were set about 2 inches off the ground. So this was one problem. The next problem was tire pressure. They are doing construction at my SCAG dealer and when leaving they ran over a nail. So I had 4lbs of pressure in one of my rear tires which needs 20lbs. Plus I had my fronts only had 20lbs which need 30. I have never had a problem with my dealer before so I tried to stay calm. Took my mower up there and dropped it off and got it back the next day. They had 5 out of their 7 shop guys out sick the day I got my mower so they just rushed I guess. I have raised my mowing height to 3 inches commercial and 3.5 residentail with no problems so far. Now I'm mowing 12.5 miles and hour and knockin time off left and right

Comment

Originally posted by emmickslawncare
                            Now I'm mowing 12.5 miles and hour and knockin time off left and right
                            It's a beautiful thing, isn't it! I'll never buy belt drive units again! I'd have to say that a ZTR is one of the best peices of equipment made in this biz!

Comment

There ya go man, your gone to love that Turf Tiger.

Get use to lifting the dek up a little with the foot pedal every time you do a turn.

Also, work that pedal on raises and dips as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X