sharpening hedge trimmers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharpening hedge trimmers?

I have a set of stihl hedge trimmers, cuts on both sides. wondering how everyone goes about sharpening them. Ive taken them apart and used a file, very time consuming and tedious. wondering if there is an easier way..thanks

the best way is to use a pneumatic die grinder. If you dont have air setup you can use a dremel tool. 10 min job. Dont use a file and take it apart.

Comment

pro style

LA-625 (shown in the link) in conjunction w/ LA-699 (not shown) will grind shears just like your pro shop.
      SENIOR MODERATOR LSF COMMUNITY CONTROL CORDINATOR
      Have a Nice Day, from the Lawn Service Forum S.A.S.M
      www.lawnbook.com
      www.lawnservicing.com
      Click Here: For Lawn Care Business Kit
      Click Here: For FREE Marketing "Mini-Course"
      Please ask questions about the business here, I'm unable to answer them 1 on 1.
      Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Make this Forum Possible!
      NOW AVAILABLE FOR FREE LSF IN 5.0 !!! JUST PM GRASSMASTER TO GET YOURS TODAY!!

""POYMIT"

ATTRITION :alien:

Comment

Angle grinder and a
        cut off wheel.
        -Rich

Ron Howard: Is that... vodka... and wheat grass?
        Homer: It's called a "lawnmower". I invented it. Want one?

Comment

I use a dremel tool with a small grinding stone on it fast and easy.

Comment

I have the stihl 45 hedge trimmer. I take it in and have it sharpened.

Comment

I don't think the replacement blades are too expensive.

For what it's worth, I don't sharpen them. Once they are dull, they get used for dormant pruning, getting through thick brush, cutting down ornamental grasses in the spring, etc. I then buy a new one to use. So each truck will have a sharp unit, and then a 'dull' unit for thick stuff.
              a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
              Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Mr. Skaper is following Jack D. approved mowing maintenance procedures in regards to hedge trimmer blade sharpening. The more expensive long pole articulting trimmers are, however, sharpened occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaper-S2k
                  I don't think the replacement blades are too expensive.

For what it's worth, I don't sharpen them. Once they are dull, they get used for dormant pruning, getting through thick brush, cutting down ornamental grasses in the spring, etc. I then buy a new one to use. So each truck will have a sharp unit, and then a 'dull' unit for thick stuff.
                  replacement blades are $30 each You need 2 blades. I'd stick with shapening

Comment

Yeh Jack, I agree about the articulating trimmers. I bought a Husqvarna brand articulating model about 3.5 years ago. I don't know why, but it is still pretty sharp. And we use hedge trimmers a LOT. It has stayed sharper for longer than 3-4 Echos would have over the same time period. I've never sharpened them. Or any brand for that matter. New blades stay sharp long enough to justify the $60 to buy new ones when needed. At least I think so anyway.
                    a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

Mr. Skaper is correct. One should use sharp trimmers exclusively on ornamental pruning and keep dulled units for knock-downs.

Please note that Jack D.'s new cruising truck, a 1500 Sierra/Denali w/Quadrasteer, will have a tighter turning radius than a Cabover and Mr. Skaper's Mazda Miata combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack D.

Please note that Jack D.'s new cruising truck, a 1500 Sierra/Denali w/Quadrasteer, will have a tighter turning radius than a Cabover and Mr. Skaper's Mazda Miata combined.

My Honda S2000 turns fairly sharp, but it doesn't even turn as sharp as my cabovers. Your quadrasteer does not either. Possibly as sharp as an Isuzu, but not my Mistubishis. Please make a note of it.
                        a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

Jack D. is unsure of the turning radius of a Cabover, however the Quadrasteer units have curb-to-curb turning diameter of 37.4 ft which would be about equivilent to a small car such as Mr. Skaper's pimped out Civic.

Regardless, using dulled blades on certain hedges/shrubs can cause tip browning. Jack D. also recommends frequent spray lubrication.

http://www.boeshield.com/index.htm

Comment

Don't Waste Your Time Trying To Sharpen Hedge Trimmers Yourself

When ever I need anything sharpened I take it to Scott's Lawn & Garden Tool Sharpening Service in Appleton, WI 920-954-8875.
                            I took my gas powered hedge trimmer to Scott's. When I got it back it worked great. he knows what he's doing. It was cleaned, sharpened, lubricated. It was very very sharp!! Reasonable prices and fast service. I would recommend you contact Scott for all your tool sharpening needs

Comment

Sharpen Your Shears

Place the hedge trimmers on a flat surface. Ensure that the blades are pointed away from your body.
                              Position a pair of pliers around the bolt on your hedge trimmers. Clamp the pliers on the bolt securely.
                              Twist the bolt counter-clockwise to remove it.
                              Separate the paired blades.
                              Hold one of the handles with the blade facing away from you. Slide a metal filer down the length of the blade until you reach the pointed end. Continue to sharpen the blade for a minute or two, and then do the same with the other blade.
                              Test the blades with a piece of paper. Hold a piece of paper next to the blade, and then try to cut the paper without using a lot of force. If the paper slices easily, then your blades are completely sharpened. If the blades do not cut the paper, continue to sharpen the blades with the metal filer, and repeat the paper test.

Comment

Working...
                              X