Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, I'm new!

Hello, new member here.

I have been browsing this forum along with a couple of others.
    One in particular wanted me to submit about 30 pieces of personal information, including address, in order to sign up...kind of a big put off...so I joined this one.

I see that membership here seems to be lacking a little bit compared to the others...however, I'm sure there are some long time experienced members at this forum, just the very ones I need to answer my questions

And I don't think it takes more than a few members to get a good conversation going.

Anyways, I'm 31, live in MI, and am a long haul truck driver by trade.

I've long thought about this line of business for a few reasons...
    1) I'm gone from home a lot of the time, and would like this to change
    2) I don't get nearly the exercise I need to while driving a truck
    3) I've always wanted to be a business owner
    4) Starting a trucking business requires MUCH more starting capital and is a bit more risky than starting a lawn service business

I've researched a lot about this kind of business and had some questions I wasn't sure about.

I have been thinking about extra services to add to "just lawn mowing", which I think will help with customer loyalty, and also bring in more revenue.

Is it normal for a "grass cutting" business to also do lawn fertilizing?
    I'm also not sure if it's something I should get into as a start up.

MI banned phosphorus from fertilizer, and also requires licensing, and 2 years working under someone, for pesticide/herbicide use, so that pretty much limits the kind of material I can work with.

I have been thinking of other things like adding window washing, hedge & bush trimming, leaf raking during the fall, etc. all rolled into the weekly/monthly charge. Sort of like a menu of things they can add to the service they want throughout the year, and instead of charging them the extra during the fall, for example, I'd just charge for the leaf raking during the season so their bill is always the same every month.

I'm just not sure about the fertilizer.

So I am wondering if it's recommended I stay away from this...and I hope it doesn't cost me prospective clients.

As far as clients, I plan on knocking on hundreds of doors, dressed nicely of course, with plenty of brochures/fliers on hand.

I think I would need to profit at least $35k for the year to make it worth it. I hope this is doable.

I live in an area that has about 30,000 residents within a 10 mile radius. So I hope it can be done...40 accounts doesn't seem like a lot, but when it comes to actually finding and keeping 40 accounts, it almost seems like a mountain...especially when I'm new. 40 is what I think I could handle by myself for a whole week. Anything more and I think I may need an employee for one day to help me get 15 in a day instead of 8. And so on.

I do plan on being fully insured and bonded, and if it comes to where I need an employee, I do plan on it being legal.

I'm also hoping $55-60/week for a typical 10k sq ft suburban lot isn't too much for the package deal, mow/trim/edge/blow, leaf raking, window cleaning, hedge trimming, weeding,

Or for just a mow trim edge blow, $40/week for the same size lot.
    Packages are always customize-able.

Anyways, I hope some of these questions can be answered by those who know what they're talking about.

Also, I'm starting another thread after this to ask about your first year in business, more specifically, how you got started and found your first clients.

Thanks for all replies!!! And glad to be joining the forum.

Brandon
Working...
X