Stripes 101

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack D.
    Striping became popular when solo & small mom & pop lawn monkeys aspired to something greater than just cutting the grass. For some reason they take great pride in the hideous light & dark definition left by their mowers & assume a badge of honor because they are able to mow a straight line.

Most of our well-heeled customers find this defination tacky & prefer a pool table look which is more natural.
    Just because you & your customers don't like doesn't mean it's tacky. You have a smart ass attitude.
    2005 Chevy 2500HD
    86 GMC 3500 Dump
    85 GMC 2500 4X4
    85 CHEVY c-20 4X4

3 Lazers
    7x18 tandum
    6x12 Single
    Redmax & Echo & cycle

Comment

Originally posted by Jack D.
      Striping became popular when solo & small mom & pop lawn monkeys aspired to something greater than just cutting the grass. For some reason they take great pride in the hideous light & dark definition left by their mowers & assume a badge of honor because they are able to mow a straight line.

Most of our well-heeled customers find this defination tacky & prefer a pool table look which is more natural.
      Good for you. I wish I knew it all.
      -Rodney

Comment

I love stripin' so much I modded my Toro push mower's rock guard so It would act as a roller, it makes a huge difference in the contrast of the lines and I can finally see my major league stripes in my back yard. You might think it's foolish to spend the extra time to put in baseball diamond (or soccer field stripes for all you WC fans:-) but when I'm done with that job i know i deserve a beer.
        One rule for the perfect job: Love your work, no other rules need apply.

Comment

Check the dates on the posts... this thread originated in '03, revived in '05 and now again it rises from the ashes.

Welcome to the board LawnRang3r. (Hippy... )

Comment

From what i've heard, it's not the direction of the cut that matters, but the repeated compression of the mower wheels on the same spot, week after week, that does damage. So, by changing direction every week (12-6, 10-4, 9-3, 8-2) you minimize the danger of overcompacting.
            One rule for the perfect job: Love your work, no other rules need apply.

Comment

in indiana all mowers stripe to some extent like some have said, just cutting grass from left to right will leave a light/dark pattern. they sell a stripping bar to attach to the deck to make the stripping more prominent. it's popular around here and i personally love the stripping look.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcclurelandscape
                Just because you & your customers don't like doesn't mean it's tacky. You have a smart ass attitude.
                i agree, just because those customers don't like it does not mean it's tacky. it's a prefrence thing and i can think of plenty of people who like it

Comment

Originally posted by ryry
                  the other week someone told me that if you just go in the same direction all the time the grass won't grow straight instead you yould mow diferent directions after every other week is this the best way to do it or it doesn't matter?
                  it does matter what direction you go, mowing the lawn in the same direction week after week "lays the grass over". alternating directions allows the grass to stand up straight. try it and you'll notice a difference in the lawn.

Comment

Working...
                  X