water reservoir for irrigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water reservoir for irrigation

i have a customer building a new home inquiring about a alternate water supply ........ he's in perfect location to catch rain runoff and wants a reservoir in which to pump out water........any ideas for this reservoir would be greatly appreciated...size, material, covering

That's a system that is in use by many on the islands w/in the Puget Sound. The minimun size is a 1000 gallon plastic tank, which is about the size of most septic tanks, and is actually considered small. Those who collect rain water for drinking purposes will gutter it off the roof and thru a sand filter or a sand/charcoal filter made from a rainbarrow. As the water is pumped out, it is run thru more charcoal filters and up to the tap.

Even if the intent is for irrigation, I'd use some sort of filtering system for any kind of algea growth in the tank. The tank can be above or below ground.

Comment

thanks!! do you know of any websites that would sell a in ground unit?

Comment

I don't have time right now to find you the info, but any place that sells agricultural spray equipment would have the large tanks. Also, check w/ irrigation distributors because they often sell the larger tanks to people who have wells.

Comment

Thanks .....I will follow up with it!!

Comment

Oreally

Some facts you might want to know before you go to much Further. One acre inch of water is almost 28,000 gallons of water. Or about 640 gallons of water to cover 1,000 sq ft one inch deep. Depending on your needs a reservoir just might be a real white elephant.

PS Sorry I can not remember the exact number of Gallons in a acre inch but I am Too lazy to double check Myself. I know I am pretty close.

You can lead a donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass drink.

Comment

Very nice.....never even thought about measurnents for how much water it would take to water a property.
              Mike®
              Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at!!

Comment

Thanks dude!! probably bout 5k sqft of watered area in the front of the house....and it would serve as a redundant resource

Comment

Working...
                X