Window washing anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window washing anyone?

Someone please talk to me about commercial window washing. Yes not lawn service but I figure it is related. Lawn division is doing just great and it has gotten me to thinking about a secondary division that deals in windows.

What do you want to know? ... many of my clients are into building maint interior/exterior full serve.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Nilsson
      What do you want to know? ... many of my clients are into building maint interior/exterior full serve.
      What do you have in the way of bidding and estimating window jobs, mostly ground level.
      I relize it is again just selling time, and time averages can be figures out with some various trial runs. So what I would be most interested in is some base adverages.

Comment

You should do very well & This is all I know...

We have a window washer that comes to our shop...

He washes these once a month...
        3 set's of windows that are 6'X8'
        3 glassed entrance doors

He drags his behind & does below average job, it takes him between 25 to 35 Minutes. I could probably do a good job in 20 minutes or less.

We pay him $15, I only use him because he's a wonderful person, he needs the money, nobody else will do them & it helps me feel better about myself giving him the money!

He says he does a total of 200 jobs a month, he claims that the work is all divided up equally into once a week, twice a week & once a month jobs. He walks on foot to all his jobs & he's putting a kid through college. I feel he's a True American Hero, he's not a freeloader and he tries hard. I'm jealous of him, he's the happiest person I know.

Nobody likes to do windows, you could probably do very well with it, LOL low equipment maintenance. I've tried to talk my daughter into doing this but she refuses too.

I read an article one time about this college kid that started cleaning windows, he then hire the College Girls to do the windows, they wore stripped cut off painters overhauls & painters caps. I can't remember how many employees but I do remember that he had several trucks, plenty of work & they drew a crowd!
        GrassMaster, LSF Administrator!
        LawnPro - Lawn Care Business Software:
        www.lawnbook.com --- www.lawnservicing.com

Comment

BTW: You will find this interesting... I Hope?

A lot of good info at the web site below!

Pressure Washing Web Site...
          www.dcs1.com

Pressure Washing Guide Pricing Guide...
          http://www.dcs1.com/del/pricing.html

Window Washing:
          www.dcs1.com/window/
          Hourly Method: $25.00 to $45.00 per hour
          Per Pane Price: $0.50 to $2.00 per pane per side for commerical accounts, $2.50 to $3.50 for residential.
          As a rule of thumb you should be making no less that $25.00 per hour
          GrassMaster, LSF Administrator!
          LawnPro - Lawn Care Business Software:
          www.lawnbook.com --- www.lawnservicing.com

Comment

Very good info Grassmaster. I been pouring through a wide assortment of resource sites since mid day yesterday.
            This possible venture like a lot of mine would be done by labor that is hired. If I could get the hourly average up to 40.00 with in a few months I would be happy.
            Insurance and other indirect and overhead costs would be minimal. Deffinatly something I will be looking into a lot more.

Comment

Roger

Jack De Newfie post about widow washing in the off topic. Some thing about Failed landscapers. You may want to read that thread also if you haven't.

I know a guy who has been doing it for years and keeps a sign on his truck "HELP WANTED" 24/7. His biggest complain is having to drop customer because of lack of help. He claims window washing is a real skill and not everyone can do it. (I am not saying that, I don't know) Start up costs are minimal. A small econo truck with a few laddler and window washing brushs and squeeze. A back of razor blades for the hard ones. Marketing shouldn't be hard, it seems no one wants to clean windows.

You can lead a donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Ric
                Roger

Jack De Newfie post about widow washing in the off topic. Some thing about Failed landscapers. You may want to read that thread also if you haven't.

I know a guy who has been doing it for years and keeps a sign on his truck "HELP WANTED" 24/7. His biggest complain is having to drop customer because of lack of help. He claims window washing is a real skill and not everyone can do it. (I am not saying that, I don't know) Start up costs are minimal. A small econo truck with a few laddler and window washing brushs and squeeze. A back of razor blades for the hard ones. Marketing shouldn't be hard, it seems no one wants to clean windows.
                I read the failed landscapers thread. Thanks for mentioning it though.

As for lack of help, well I am not overly concerned. Starting wages in our city are at minimum wage nearly across the board, and non degree labor jobs pay on average 9.00 per hour if your full time. Heck we have many electricians and other skilled laborers making under 12.00 an hour. As with all of my business's we always pay a very high hourly wage plus perks. This has kept turnover to a minimum even in our most tedious lines of work (PC repair).

Start up costs would be a little more for us but that is not an obstical at all. The basic supplies would be minimal. We just go beyond what is expected. We brand everything and we insits on such details as employee uniforms and the like. However the upkeep should be indeed minimal.

Just need more research and information. Then I can start assembling the business plan.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerservesyou
                  I read the failed landscapers thread. Thanks for mentioning it though.

As for lack of help, well I am not overly concerned. Starting wages in our city are at minimum wage nearly across the board, and non degree labor jobs pay on average 9.00 per hour if your full time. Heck we have many electricians and other skilled laborers making under 12.00 an hour. As with all of my business's we always pay a very high hourly wage plus perks. This has kept turnover to a minimum even in our most tedious lines of work (PC repair).

Start up costs would be a little more for us but that is not an obstical at all. The basic supplies would be minimal. We just go beyond what is expected. We brand everything and we insits on such details as employee uniforms and the like. However the upkeep should be indeed minimal.

Just need more research and information. Then I can start assembling the business plan.

Roger

I must say your appear to being going about it right. Researching a business and its market potential will never hurt you if done right. Of course Insurance is a must since you will have to do inside as well as up a ladder Etc. Not so sure an Employee Security bond might not be needed.

Good Luck

You can lead a donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass drink.

Comment

Working...
                  X