No announcement yet.

Plows, Blowers or Shovels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now do you guys use atvs at all? Why Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by ShortysLandscaping View Post
      Now do you guys use atvs at all? Why Why not?
      i've been thinking about it. it would save the tranny on my truck. i personally don't run a plow on my truck, can't afford one. but i've toyed with the idea of an atv. i can push snow with it and get it in the truck so i wouldn't have to worry about pulling a trailer through the snow, which can't be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by spotremix View Post
        i've been thinking about it. it would save the tranny on my truck. i personally don't run a plow on my truck, can't afford one. but i've toyed with the idea of an atv. i can push snow with it and get it in the truck so i wouldn't have to worry about pulling a trailer through the snow, which can't be fun.
        You don't have a plow on your truck....so how would it save the tranny by using a atv/plow combo? Did you mean to say you wouldn't buy a truck plow if you had a atv plow?
        2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
        Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

Plowing and a transmission

Originally posted by MASTERMOWER View Post
          You don't have a plow on your truck....so how would it save the tranny by using a atv/plow combo? Did you mean to say you wouldn't buy a truck plow if you had a atv plow?
          Personally i dont remember anyone of my plowing buddies asking me about why plowing ruined their transmission or a transmission going because of plowing period.....:laughing:

Excessive heat is what starts the death of the transmission in most cases or doing somthing to break a sprag like useing a v-6 tranny behind a big block power engine......

Pulling heavy loads and overheating the transmission pulling up long grades for extended times under full throttle with whatever heat building in the fluid being heated even more from the overheated radiator coolant is an example of a trans killer , but plowing a simple driveway shouldn't hurt the trans unless its weak or a peace of junk anyway.....

If in doubt or worried about the transmission life installing an aftermarket cooler keeping the fluid temp low so the internal seals dont harden up will keep hydraulic pressures stable and prevent slippage which kills most transmissions rather then worry about a 5 minute plow job where the trans is being cooled pretty good in the cold weather anyway......

Transmissions in FL probably fail at a rate 3 + times higher then up north simply because the internal seals harden up from running in the constant FL heat and the seals leak so the drum pistons dont provide the proper holding power / pressure leading to clutch packs that dont grab , slip and lead to burned out clutch plates and the fractured material clogging the valve bodies...........

Pulling a loaded trailer constantly overheating the trans ignoring burned looking fluid because sombody says changing fluid is a sure way to ruin the trans will shorten the life of the auto trans quicker then the small amount of plowing most do , so i would consider it a non issue in my opinion .......

I change fluid coming into my shop all the time even on old trannies with 100 thousand on them and goop supposedly holding everything together that was originally transmission fluid listening to the old wives tale that this will cause more problems then it will solve,( even from old time re-builders living in the past ) and have never had a fluid change cause the trans to fail as many believe ,so i just tell those who say this will happen you do things your way based on fiction , and ill do it my way based on experience...

Trannyquest
          GOD BLESS AMERICA (MY HOME SWEET HOME ) !!!!!

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Comment

what i ment to say is, i don't have a plow on my truck and of the people i trust, they all say plowing snow with a truck will ruin your tranny. so with knowing that, an atv/plow combo would save the tranny on my truck from getting ruined because i'd be using the atv to plow snow instead of my truck.

i'm gonna stick with what the people i know have told me about plowing ruining there tranny because they're experiences people who have plowed many, many times and have ruined a few tranny's doing it.

Comment

what i ment to say is, i don't have a plow on my truck and of the people i trust, they all say plowing snow with a truck will ruin your tranny. so with knowing that, an atv/plow combo would save the tranny on my truck from getting ruined because i'd be using the atv to plow snow instead of my truck.

i'm gonna stick with what the people i know have told me about plowing ruining there tranny because they're experiences people who have plowed many, many times and have ruined a few tranny's doing it.
              LMAO!! I have one truck I plow with, have been using it for five years for plowing & towing. Tranny in it is built for towing & plowing, in fact I think I had tranny look over the specs before we installed it. Zero issues with it. You just have to use your head when plowing. Plus, a tranny cooler doesn't hurt either, too much heat kills trannies.
              Conan, what is best in life? To crush the Democrats, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of the liberals.

Comment

Whats the old saying ????

Originally posted by jrservices View Post
                LMAO!! I have one truck I plow with, have been using it for five years for plowing & towing. Tranny in it is built for towing & plowing, in fact I think I had tranny look over the specs before we installed it. Zero issues with it. You just have to use your head when plowing. Plus, a tranny cooler doesn't hurt either, too much heat kills trannies.
                Ignorance is bliss......

That's why i wish some days somebody would crack me over my head making me a little dumber so i just believe what the common joe shmoe tells me and seeing how it is on the other side with the option to return.......

The only drawback is i think you have to have some kind of intellect even if its ever so small to understand the beauty of life and not let it pass us right by ,ignoring it.....

Does a fish or bug really appreciate life regardless how happy it is living in never never land when it lands on a persons arm knowing it will instantly be squashed buy the persons hand????

These things i know not for sure but in spots case he probably is very happy , and eventually will get squashed like the common house fly described above.....

Just my opinion.....

Ohh and aren't most ATV`s quite expensive nowadays ????

And what about the plows for it???????????

Why not a garden tractor with plow much cheaper and geared perfect????

BACK to the ATV , im getting off track

Are there transmissions stronger then a car or trucks?????

How much will it cost for the dealer to install clutches in that every year because i know spot is not gonna do that type of (complicated for him anyway) work??????:laughing:

:laughing:trannyquake:laughing:

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Comment

Think about this.

Now I don't know about where you live but here there are alot of old plow trucks running around. Early 90's late 80's some older than that. And you better believe none of them had the plows put on recently because nobody in there right mind spends $4000+ to put a plow and a truck that's not even worth half of that. So it's safe to assume that a late 80's truck has had the plow on for at least 10 years. And it's still running strong, well strong enough to still push snow. So unless these people are just stupid and justify spending $700+ for a new or a rebuilt tranny every few years, I'd say that plows don't ruin trannys. Now peoples driving habits... they can ruin trannys no problem. Plows are harder on suspension's than tranny's

Now lets go further... you pull a 3000 pound trailer, give or take a few, with your truck right? Alright that plow weighs in at much less than 1500 pounds... and I highly doubt you're ever going to push more than 1500 pounds of snow. So pulling a triller puts about as much stress on your truck as plow... if not more. Granted pushing is generally more strenuous than pulling, but you're not pushing 1500 pounds of snow at 40 mph either. Plows are harder on the front end components than they are on the transmission.

Comment

Now lets go further... you pull a 3000 pound trailer, give or take a few, with your truck right? Alright that plow weighs in at much less than 1500 pounds... and I highly doubt you're ever going to push more than 1500 pounds of snow. So pulling a triller puts about as much stress on your truck as plow... if not more. Granted pushing is generally more strenuous than pulling, but you're not pushing 1500 pounds of snow at 40 mph either. Plows are harder on the front end components than they are on the transmission.
                    One is a rolling load, the other is not. Do you plow?
                    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
                    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

i'm not listen to some joe shmoe on the street about this issue. i've talked with people who have plowed in my neck of woods for years. i've also talked to mechanics in my neck of the woods. guess what they all say? plowing is hard on a tranny. if i had some junker truck that i just used for plowing then maybe i'd do it, hell i'm sure eventually i'll do it on my nice truck.

bottom line is i don't have a plow right now because i only have 1-2 residential drive ways i could use it on and i don't have any commericial accounts that use me for snow removal. but using the atv/plow combo vs. a truck with a plow is something to consider i think.

Comment

1st you have to evaluate the load

i'm not listen to some joe shmoe on the street about this issue. i've talked with people who have plowed in my neck of woods for years. i've also talked to mechanics in my neck of the woods. guess what they all say? plowing is hard on a tranny. if i had some junker truck that i just used for plowing then maybe i'd do it, hell i'm sure eventually i'll do it on my nice truck.

bottom line is i don't have a plow right now because i only have 1-2 residential drive ways i could use it on and i don't have any commericial accounts that use me for snow removal. but using the atv/plow combo vs. a truck with a plow is something to consider i think.
                        Most snow 10 inches or under will require close to zero hp or tq going through the transmission to even move the snow....

The average driveway can be pulled into with the plow down and the foot off the throttle and the inertia of the rolling load of the truck itself will easily push whatever snow is there out of the way...

That's the law of physics where a object in motion tends to stay in motion unless it has resistance equal to the motion opposing it.....

So unless your pushing against a load of snow that's pushing back at the same speed and weight there is very little load on the transmission and engine to hurt either unit.....

Now if your moving piles 20 feet high , that are frozen over then that's another thing of coarse and would require different methods to move it without straining the parts of the truck....

That's the end , no arguments , just takes common sense which i will not type out on how to move snow in cold weather where everything is happier anyway mechanical wise and wont hurt the engine or transmission because there running nice and cool.......

As JR said heat destroys transmissions not snow and pulling a trailer around daily just getting the dead load up to cruising speed from a dead stop will wear out the trans from the generated heat 50 times faster then moving silly snow in a driveway.......:laughing:

ATVs are for homeowners wanting to play in the drivway ,or doing small walkways and narrow areas ,but will never measure up to what can be done with a truck..

And hauling them around on a trailer in snow / slippery conditions is more dangerouse plus puts more wear on the trans pulling the load everywhere as i stated already.....

trannyquake

Comment

One is a rolling load, the other is not. Do you plow?
                          Yes I do plow, How much resistance do you think snow on pavement produces?

Comment

My HD has a temp gauge for the tranny and it never gets anywhere near hot. As far as tranny is concerned, I will leave that to all of you experts. I have never lost a tranny due to plowing, but I have lost a tranny in the summer. Is it because of plowing the prevoius winter? beats me, I just wrote the 2000 check to get it fixed. If you take it easy with the truck it will take care of you. Dont have the RPMs at 2000 and drop it into drive or whatever.

As a side note, last year during out Valentines day storm, we got like 40 inches of snow. A lot of trucks lost there tranny plowing. Coincidence? Beats me....

I broke front differential.

Comment

Working...
                            X