Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Office Depot ----> Toshiba Laptop $449.99!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office Depot ----> Toshiba Laptop $449.99!

Hello Everybody:

I picked up 1 of these a few weeks ago for my daughter at Office Depot & another 1 for my wife last week at Jerkitcity! Everybody in my family now has at least 1 laptop & 1 desktop each. HMMM, I might confiscate my daughters Desktop!

Office Depot...
    http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=520185

I had my doubts about the one for my daughter & after looking at it, I had to get one for my wife. You might want to take that 1 Gig of memory out & put 2 Gig in there if you're wanting to run it hard. For what my family uses them for I think the 1 Gig will suffice & work just fine.

Hey it's a Toshiba Laptop, with Windows Vista, nice sized Hard Drive, Duo Core Processor, Dual Layer DVD Burner, built in wireless WI FI, nice screen size and I feel it's a great deal for the price. I figure if they only get 2 years out of them it's a great deal. That's less than $5 a week for 2 years. Where else you going to get that kind of entertainment that cheap?

Here's the specs...
    The Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 combines advanced features in a versatile value-priced notebook. Along with a 15.4" widescreen WXGA LCD display with TruBrite™ technology, it offers a Pentium dual-core processor, 1.0GB of high-speed memory, a 120GB hard drive and 802.11b/g wireless capability.

It also has an advanced DVD SuperMulti Double Layer drive to burn and play DVDs and CDs. The drive is compatible with 11 CD and DVD formats, including DVD-RAM and DVD±R Double Layer, with 8.5GB capacity per disc.

A built-in 5-in-1 memory card reader let's you transfer from these flash formats: Secure Digital (SD), MultiMediaCard (MMC), Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro and xD-Picture Card.

The Satellite A135-S4527 notebook includes:
    15.4"-diagonal widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) TruBrite LCD screen
    Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2080 operating at 1.73GHz
    1MB L2 cache
    Up to 533MHz frontside bus
    1.0GB of PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM memory, upgradable to 4.0GB
    120GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive
    DVD SuperMulti drive with Double Layer support (reads/writes DVD±R/RW, DVD-RAM, DVD±R Double Layer, CD-R/RW)
    Atheros 802.11b/g wireless LAN
    10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN port
    56K V.92 modem
    4 USB 2.0 ports
    1 FireWire (IEEE 1394) port
    1 S-video out port
    1 PC Card slot: supports Type I/Type II PC Card, PCMCIA
    5-in-1 memory card reader: reads SD, MMC, xD, Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with from 8MB to 256MB of shared memory (dynamically allocated)
    Windows-compatible audio; built-in stereo speakers; headphone output jack and microphone input jack
    Rechargeable lithium-ion battery (4000 mAh)
    Dimensions: 1 1/2"H x 14 1/5"W x 10 1/2"D
    Weight: 6 lbs
    Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium operating system comes installed, providing enhanced security and productivity, and new ways to organize, find and share information.

The Satellite A135-S4527 is backed by the manufacturer's 1-year warranty.
    GrassMaster, LSF Administrator!
    LawnPro - Lawn Care Business Software:
    www.lawnbook.com --- www.lawnservicing.com

Thanks for the heads up. I think I will order one for the lady I mentioned that helps with my bookwork. Do you think they have these in the stores?

GrassMaster, do you think QuickBooks would be okay for Vista? I have 2005, but I suppose I could update that to 2007.

I don't want to waste your time, but do you think that laptop is close enough to being as good as this desktop unit linked below? Neither will be worked very hard at all. Well, I know it's not as good, but is it close enough? I highly doubt I would consider adding any RAM or anything after the purchase of either.

Desktop unit ($589 after rebate):

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0261203

She will never need over 120 Gb. Most use would be Office and QB's.
    a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
    Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I've been using this same laptop for two years now, and have had zero problems. Mine has 1.5G of RAM...only difference. Also FYI...I paid $1300 for mine!

Comment

How did I miss this?

Hello:

That desktop has a lot more power than the laptop. Faster processor, twice the ram & far bigger hard drive.

Yes the Laptop with Vista should run QuickBooks just fine. No I haven't done it but my computer guy, yes I have one too, he says he runs all his old games & programs on Vista with no problems.

For some reason desktop computer people will fall in love with a less powerful laptop. I find myself using my laptop more than my desktops & laptops are more trouble getting out of the bag, connecting the power cord but I prefer the Laptop? Why I do not know?

Does she have a desktop now? Chicks think laptops are HOT!

Comment

She has a really old HP, actually, it's a Compac. Back from the Windows ME times. I bought her the upgrade to XP about 5 yrs ago? Might have been 6 yrs ago, not sure.

I think hers has 128k Ram. No CD burner either, no DVD player. So anything is an upgrade at this point.

The thing is, I bought her a LCD monitor 2 yrs ago for Christmas. So unless she just uses that crap HP to surf the web and the laptop for all else.....the monitor won't be used.

Which really isn't too big of a deal anyway I guess.

She sort of questioned the reliablity of that HP brand though. But heck, she has a Compac, so who knows.

Grassmaster, if it was you, which would you get? Anything is an upgrade. Pretty much just for Office, Quickbooks, web, and mp3 player.

Faster, more memory, HP desktop?
          Or the Toshiba laptop?

Maybe I could find a $550 Toshiba. I'll check.
          a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

Too late, I think the deal for the Toshiba has been pulled. Damn.
            a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

Double damn. I was about decided on getting one.

Comment

The Satellite is coming up at $689 now and there is a printable $150 rebate for it good through the 8th. I looked at one OD store last night and saw that price but they did not have the rebate sign on it. Do I still want it for $539? Are Groundskeeper/Blizzard Buster that was good for XP going to work on Vista? How about the billing software offered here?

Comment

I've been looking for another good deal on the Toshiba but not so sure after reading the following story. Every one I looked at said Made in China on the bottom.

Do I still want to be buying a computer from China...?
                  What are we going to do about this?

Comment

Hardboiled, I think you know that I am about as computer savy as a chimp. All I do is turn them on, use them, then turn them off. Sometimes 6-10 taimes a day. I did a registry scan thing (or whatever it was called) once last year when GrassMaster told me I should. Other than that, no "maintainence".

I have had this Toshiba for at least 5 yrs. It has never even blipped the screen at me. It has never had one issue.

To me, that's saying something.

I just looked, mine says "made in the Philippines".
                    a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

Hey I don't like it either...

Not a whole bunch you can do about it being made in China.

To get the prices down as low as they are they have to be made in a foreign country. I don't even see how they can build them & sell them for a profit now? The OS software sell for 1/2 of what a laptop does?

You talking about laptops being sold for under $500, a few years back it was impossible to accomplish. There's talk now about laptops being made with flash drives & more memory being sold in the $150 range.

500GB hard drives for $99? In 2004 I paid $539 for a off brand LCD 19" monitor, now they are under $200 for brand names. I paid $343 for my Linksys router about 7 years ago, now the same one but much faster is $60.99.

Comment

It appears my link didn't work. It was a story about China hacking into some of the pentagons computer systems. With all the negative china news it becomes painfull to think of purchasing their products. I will probably make the buy one day, as I already went the $2000 route and still have a non working computer as a result. I'm sure Toshiba's are good and would expect the same number of years of service I got out of my other brand, or more. I'm watching for the next good deal.

Comment

You can't go wrong with a Toshiba. The main reason I bought a Toshiba is because all the cell technicians, net ops, and other field people I've met that work out in the field in the wireless industry swear by them.

Comment

Thank you Casey. I found it is on sale again for $499 with the rebate. I will be picking one up (98% committed to it anyway).

Comment

Working...
                            X