Ryobi BC30 trimmer-carb adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi BC30 trimmer-carb adjustment

I have a Ryobi BC30 string trimmer. I know it's not a quality item. Lately it will only run at high speed only when it's at half choke. The owner's manual says that it's possibly needs a carb adjustment. I'd like to try to adjust it myself but the owner's manual doesn't have any directions for adjusting the carburetor but says take it to a service dealer for an adjustment. I'd like to try to do it myself and would be grateful for any advice. All I can see on the machine is the idle screw.
    Thanks very much,
    Tom

Does it use a primer bulb? If so, pump the bulb while it is running with the choke partially applied and throttle opened. Try to push the bulb forcefully to clear out passages in the carb but not so much to kill the engine. If this just started happening, and you haven't tinkered with the adjustments prior, it is probably debris or gummed up gas causing it. Put fresh gas mix in and try the above.

Comment

No screws???

Originally posted by td229
      I have a Ryobi BC30 string trimmer. I know it's not a quality item. Lately it will only run at high speed only when it's at half choke. The owner's manual says that it's possibly needs a carb adjustment. I'd like to try to adjust it myself but the owner's manual doesn't have any directions for adjusting the carburetor but says take it to a service dealer for an adjustment. I'd like to try to do it myself and would be grateful for any advice. All I can see on the machine is the idle screw.
      Thanks very much,
      Tom
      Tom you may, or may not have mixture adjustment screws on that ryobi... Some machines are still sneaking by with the option to adjust the mix ,and some are fitted with plugs where the screws used to be, and are non adjustable....

IF you can find 2 screws on the side here is a general guideline to what is what...

1.. The screw on the side closest to the engine is the idle mixture screw... This controls the mix on the engine side of the butterfly plate, and would only need to be adjusted if the engine conked out at idle....

2.. The screw closest to the air cleaner , and choke would be the high speed mixture screw.. This screw would control the fuel mix after the throttle butterfly is oppenned up to half-- full throttle, and the passage is on the other side of the butterfly plate...

Obviously that would be the one that would need to be adjusted from your tech related description...

Turning screws counter clockwise backs the needle tip out from the fuel passage, thus enlargeing the mixture port , richening the mixture...

Turning screws clockwise, screws the needle tip into the fuel metering passage leaning out the mix.. kinda working as an artificial blocking mechanism.....

In your situation if you have the screws you would need to slowly back out the outermost screw hopefully enriching the high speed mixture....

If you have no screws..

Run the engine at full speed, and quickly flip the choke to the full choke position, and alternateing fully open ,full closed as quickly as possible, while trying to keep the engine running....

What you want to try to accomplish is to get the engine to max revs, fully choke, which will create a high enough vacume in the carburetor venturi to pull any crap through the partially clogged passages....

With a little practice you can alternate between full choke/ full open and operate quick enough and open the choke before the engine stalls...

DO THIS AT FULL THROTTLE SO THE HIGH SPEED MIX SYSTEM IS EXPOSED TO MAX VACUME!!!

If what i just wrote is completely non-understandable, and you dont have a clue what im talking about just run the engine for 5 minuites with the choke closed as much as possible, at full throttle and hopefully it will pull some garbage through.....

A little fuel injector cleaner added to the fuel may also help dissolve any gunk that may be sitting in that high speed passage, and clear it by running it the way you have ,partially choked........

I know , "what the heck is this nutt talking about , this is somthing that is easy to do, but hard to explain over the internet.....

The other option is a carb rebuild with new diaphram kit that you can try to do yourself.... Compressed air is mandatory....

If brought to the shop the labor charge would probably equal that in which you paid for the unit to begin with....

If its still under warrentee just bring it back and swap it out.... Home depot is very good with this practice.....

Sincerely ,and best of luck, TRANS..............
      GOD BLESS AMERICA (MY HOME SWEET HOME ) !!!!!

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Comment

Transman - Thanks for your detailed reply. I never thought of calling Home Depot where I bought it as you suggested (trimmer is about 40 days old). Just called them now though and they said they have a 90 day return policy, so Ill swap it for a new one.
        Hardboiled - thanks for your help. I'll make a copy of your instructions in case there is a next time!
        Tom

Comment

I give Trans the credit for the tip I posted, I learned it from him.

Comment

Working...
          X