Storing Equipment For The Winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing Equipment For The Winter

How should I properly store my mower, whacker, and blower for the winter. Take all the gas out and sparkplug perhaps oil change? I have heard about adding a fuel stabilizer. O yea and sharp hand tools in a sand bucket to keep from rusting?

<b>Your "whacker" and blower should be stored up off the floor.The mowers can just be parked. I just started my big blower for the first time since May. 3rd. pull and she took right off</b> []

<b>Sand to store sharp tools in???....LOL...... Last I knew, sand will draw moisture.</b>

<b>If they have a metal fuel tank, I will fill it up. Other than that, I dont do anything special.</b>

<b>Everyone will have a differant opinion on this.</b> [][8D]

Quality Is Good ©

Comment

Sammy is right. Everyone will have a different opinion on the subject.

Some of how you prep you equipment for winter depends on the length of you winter. Ours here in eastern NC is short, maybe 3-4 months at the most on an average.

I have been adding fuel stabilizer to the equipment then running them on a regular basis.

I also use this time to do a complete, indepth check and cleaning. Replace or repair minor parts.

Hand tools I usually clean and spray down with a light lubricant to keep them in working order and prevent corrosion.
      Wayne

"If the grass on the other side of the fence appears greener...it must be all the fertilizer they are using!" (Kevin Rodowicz)

Comment

Take maddogs advice plus change the oil and or oil filter also.

The reason being is that regular old motor oil becomes contaminated with by products of combustion. This contaminated oil when left in the machine for long periods of inactivity can eat away at the bearing surfaces.

This is the reason why real pros (much like myself) use syn oil in all machines that have an oil filter. I only change the syn oil in any power equipment that has a filter just once a year no matter how many hours are on the clock. During the growing season it's add only.

With my cars and trucks I change the oil every 25,000 miles no matter how many years it takes to get to put on 25,000 miles.

Smaller engines like oil bath Briggs jobs get the oil changed a regular manufactures intervals with SAE HD 30.
        "Maitreya"

Comment

Our winters our pretty mild so downtime is minimal. I'd add a stabilizer to your fuel, pull the plugs, fix any minor things, replace fuel filter, and change the oil and filter and maybe bi-weekly fire every thing up. New season, add fresh gas, change the oil and filter if you haven't already, new plugs all around then add new blades and line.
          The sand trick does work. Keeps your tools from rusting when not in use.
          If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Comment

I would do what Scott said and I live in NY. If you live where its cold, get the thing fired up as much as possible and let it run for a few minutes. By doing this, you save yourself from a lot of problems in the spring when the thing doesn't work right...
            Steve
            Quality Lawn Care & Landscape Management
            www.qualitylawncare.biz

Comment

Working...
            X