Kohler Engine smoking after service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohler Engine smoking after service

Hi, I have a Scotts (John Deere)Mower with a 23hp Kohler Command V-twin OVH. I decide to go through it and service everything before putting it up for the winter. I changed the oil, Oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, and plugs. Cleaned and lubed everything. Now when i start it I get smoke. bluish white. I think it could stem from a couple of things that I may have done wrong. First when I replaced the air filter I wasn't paying attention and just started unbolting the first box I saw that looked like it might contain a square air filter, and quickly realized that I had pulled the cover off of one of the OHV's. The gaskets looked rubber so I just bolted it back up. the other potential mistake is when replacing the actual air filter i was instructed to oil the foam filter that surrounds the paper filter. So i grabbed the same blue stuff I use when oiling my motorcycles air filter. then questioned if that was ok to use. other than that I'm pretty confident that i did everything else right. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oil Drenched Filter

Originally posted by exp1orer View Post
    Hi, I have a Scotts (John Deere)Mower with a 23hp Kohler Command V-twin OVH. I decide to go through it and service everything before putting it up for the winter. I changed the oil, Oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, and plugs. Cleaned and lubed everything. Now when i start it I get smoke. bluish white. I think it could stem from a couple of things that I may have done wrong. First when I replaced the air filter I wasn't paying attention and just started unbolting the first box I saw that looked like it might contain a square air filter, and quickly realized that I had pulled the cover off of one of the OHV's. The gaskets looked rubber so I just bolted it back up. the other potential mistake is when replacing the actual air filter i was instructed to oil the foam filter that surrounds the paper filter. So i grabbed the same blue stuff I use when oiling my motorcycles air filter. then questioned if that was ok to use. other than that I'm pretty confident that i did everything else right. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like the filter got oil fouled from your drcription or possibly you tipped mower allowing crankcase oil to oil foul filter.

With nothing blowing about or in garage remove filters and let run to see if it clears up.

If it does get excess out of foam filter and possibly buy a new paper filter cause if its oil soaked it will always choke out the engine somewhat...

T-magic
    GOD BLESS AMERICA (MY HOME SWEET HOME ) !!!!!

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Comment

Working...
    X